Bleeding brakes for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding brakes for the first time

Ok so I currently have no front brakes. When I pull the front brake it pulls all the way in with no compression at the caliper. I was given this bike last week so I've been bringing it back to life and when I checked the MC reservoir it was bone dry. So I filled it with brake fluid and started the squeeze, hold, loosen the caliper nipple, close nipple and repeat process. I have a clear hose on the nipple and all I'm seeing come out is fluid now, with no change in the brakes. The PO had an extra caliper so I exchanged the calipers, reattached everything and repeated the process with no change. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Probably nothing. The innerds of the master are probably dried up and just letting fluid gravity feed down till your seeing it come out the tubing. You should at a very minimum "feel" some resistance from the spring when very slowly squeezing the handle. Do you feel anything at all?

I would take the master apart and see what condition the bore and the rubber cups are in..and clean the dog snot out of it.

Be sure the little return port..very very small hole at the bottom..is also open.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When I pull in on the lever it pretty much goes right to the handle and doesn't change. What should I clean the rubber cups with. I'm not sure where that return port is, on the solenoid?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Fixed it! I looked at the procedure for breaking the calipers down and it looks to be that the piston was stuck. I used the tire compressor method to get it out which was great (never would've thought of it) cleaned it, reinstalled and brakes are great now. I have seals and boots on the way so I will end up redoing the entire thing with paint. Thanks again to everyone, I'm slowing checking my items off.

Comment

Working...
        X