New tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tire

My new back tire is not round and I know my rim is fine . I wrench everything else but I've always had my tires mounted and balanced. Is there an easy way to tell if the tire was poorly installed or is defective?

That sux ! Why do you think this ? Get the bike on the center stand, running in gear, wheel spinning. Can you get an eyeball on whats the matter / or a short video for the know-ologists..
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      That sux ! Why do you think this ? Get the bike on the center stand, running in gear, wheel spinning. Can you get an eyeball on whats the matter / or a short video for the know-ologists..
      It's off the bike right now. My friend caught it. We had it up on the center stand and I put the bike in gear and he saw the wobble when it started spinning. If you spin it by hand, it stops at the same "low" spot every time. The Yammie shop is going to take a look at it Monday for me (they're idiots at the Suzuki shop).

Comment

There are concentric circles around the bead, near the rim. Small fine lines, about 1mm apart. They should be parallel to the rim, with the same line showing all the way around. This is an indicator to ensure the bead has set evenly all the way around the tire. It is easy to get the rim only part way seated, or seated unevenly.
        You tire could also be damaged, like a kink in the steel cable inside the bead, or some form of delamination starting up. Having a second shop look at it is a good idea.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          There are concentric circles around the bead, near the rim. Small fine lines, about 1mm apart. They should be parallel to the rim, with the same line showing all the way around. This is an indicator to ensure the bead has set evenly all the way around the tire. It is easy to get the rim only part way seated, or seated unevenly.
          You tire could also be damaged, like a kink in the steel cable inside the bead, or some form of delamination starting up. Having a second shop look at it is a good idea.
          Knowologist
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

There are concentric circles around the bead, near the rim. Small fine lines, about 1mm apart. They should be parallel to the rim, with the same line showing all the way around. ...
            I have seen a few tires with "concentric circles", but most of them that I have seen only have one.
            Regardless, the principle is the same: it should remain a constant distance from the rim all the way around.

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            Knowologist
            The correct pronounciation of this would be "know all of this".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like the tire isn't seated properly.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look for the circles. It'll suck if I have to buy another tire. This one is barely used.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  Sounds like the tire isn't seated properly.
                  You want to take a jaunt down in the rain? We also have a partially disassembled 1100 tranny that needs fixing .

Comment

Just went out and looked. Sure enough, the concentric circle is not equidistant from the rim all the way around. When I take it to Yammie, I'll have them look and see if they concur.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                      Just went out and looked. Sure enough, the concentric circle is not equidistant from the rim all the way around. When I take it to Yammie, I'll have them look and see if they concur.
                      Maybe it just needs to be reseated. It happens sometimes, not enough lube or whatever. A competent shop would have seen it and fixed it before they gave it back to you.

Comment

Maybe it just needs to be reseated. It happens sometimes, not enough lube or whatever. A competent shop would have seen it and fixed it before they gave it back to you.
                        The local Suzuki shop were the incompetent louts. The Yammie shop did my front tire and that has been perfect.

Comment

There ya go.

Comment

You want to take a jaunt down in the rain? We also have a partially disassembled 1100 tranny that needs fixing .
                            Its coming down pretty good here. I would have to come by air boat. LOL

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The local Suzuki shop were the incompetent louts. The Yammie shop did my front tire and that has been perfect.
                              I would expect that all they will need to do is let the air out, break the bead loose, spray a bit of lube on the bead and inflate the tire. It should not be a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X