brake overhual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake overhual

OK so I want to rebuild both the front and rear brakes so I'm going to buy ss lines, I've bought the seals, boots and pads. My question is what do I do with the master cylinders? I haven't taken them off before so I'm unfamiliar. Thanks

What do you do with them?

Remove them and rebuild them, of course.

Instructions are in your service manual.
    If you don't have a manual, get one from BassCliff's library.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front and back calipers and the pistons took some damage getting out. The only damage is the lip of the pistons are a little damaged, but the shaft that slides inside the caliper is ok. Would they still be ok to use or do I now need them replaced? Thanks

Comment

The groove doesn't matter. As long as the pistons aren't rust pitted or anything you can reuse them.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Master cylinders are all basically the same, buy a kit and replace the guts. As mentioned above as long as the walls of the bore are not pitted it should seal properly. If they are pitted and you reassemble they will leak backwards onto the lever. You have it all apart take the time and closely look at everything. If it is in your budget I would replace the lines as well.

Comment

As far as SS brake lines I think I will buy these and not fool with making them. I hear the Rennsport is good. Do I have to get the lines for the GS750E or does other types work like the gs850? I'm going to have dual calipers in the front so will I run two separate lines to the middle banjo bolt, then one line to the MC?

Comment

You can do that for the front or just run two lines (one for each caliper) straight from the MC. Measure the length you need and don't worry about what type of bike - brake lines don't care.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So if that's the case would I eliminate the middle banjo junction and put a double banjo bolt at the MC? Do I need any special attachment or a longer dual banjo? Is there any advantage of running two separate lines? Does it look cleaner? I'm not sure the measurements since I'm not sure how I would route the line.

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
                  So if that's the case would I eliminate the middle banjo junction and put a double banjo bolt at the MC? Do I need any special attachment or a longer dual banjo? Is there any advantage of running two separate lines? Does it look cleaner? I'm not sure the measurements since I'm not sure how I would route the line.
                  Use the longer banjo bolt from the splitter, you have everything.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My preference is to run both lines to a junction and then one line up to the MC. Z1 Enterprises has all sorts of lines in different lengths. Correct length is important,you don't want binding(short) or extra line sticking out all over.

1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
                      Figure out how you want to run the line then, using a piece of string from the master cylinder to the caliper, measure the distance to know the length of line. Like Tom said, just re-use the double banjo in your splitter and pick up some new crush washers as they do wear out.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Another tip: SS lines don't like to be twisted. The ends need to be angled a certain way with respect to each other. This is easy to see when the old lines are off the bike, but not so easy to guess while still on. Rennsport offers an adjustable fitting (for an extra $6, I think) on one end that can help eliminate the guesswork. Just install the lines per usual and then tighten the adjustable fitting as the last step.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                        X