GS550 Front brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Front brakes?

So my brother in law got this bike (I'm sure most of you have heard this by now) anyways it didn't come with a front master cylinder, well it did but it's a Yamaha one that doesn't look like it'd fit at all. I'm curious if there is an upgraded master cylinder/caliper we could put on? Or what master cylinders would fit? It has the caliper and brake line although the brake line looks pretty cruddy anyways.

I replaced my calipers with twinpot 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 600R (ZX600-C2) ones and a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX650 Master Cylinder. You can find some good instructions on doing this if you search for Salty Monk's Twinpot upgrade here on the forum. So far, I have liked the way it works and only experienced some leak issues towards the end of last year due to, I think, a bad piston that scored the seal. Get new stainless steel lines and maybe do the upgrade - you'll like it.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Try Mike's XS

Mikesxs.com offers several master cylinders, most of which will work well for a single-caliper GS550. Anything with at least a 12mm bore should work fine.

I used their 08-262 on mine, and it worked great. It included a mirror mount and pressure brake light switch (more reliable than the stock GS switch). Mike's also sells a clutch lever that matches the black levers on their master cylinders.

I recommend it. You get a nice, new, reliable master cylinder for a good price.

A photo of mine (with bar-end mirrors mounted to the standard mirror lugs):
      Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X