Choosing Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing Tires

Okay oh tire gurus. What is the flavour of the month for tires for a '82 GS1100E. Right now I need a front, and the tires I have on now are Brazilian made Metzeler Lasertecs. Last time I asked this question for my '83 ES, I was told "go Avon young man". What is it now?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

You want cheap?
    You want traction?
    You want it to last forever?
    Can't have all three.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I guess I would have to list the importance of the three parameters as follows;

Traction - I like to lean into corners, don't want the tires to slip out!

Longevity - The Metzeler is just now down to the wear bars after 8400 miles. I don't think that's too shabby.

Low Cost - Well we all want to be sponsored by a tire company, but that just ain't gonna happen! Basically as cheap as possible without affecting the first two parameters.
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

That's three wishes , you can only have two.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Avon RoadRiders if you ride a lot. Shinko 230 if you don''t.

Comment

I avg. 10,000 miles a year, I don't know if that's a lot, and I'm happy using Shinko 230's.

Comment

How long have that been lasting?

Comment

Might take a look at Continental Motion tires. Put one on the SV when a nail ruined my Pilot 2. Didn't really notice any downgrade in the performance and it was a lot less money.

Got mine from Motosport.com

Comment

10k front, 6k rear.

Comment

I like Dunlop 591's. The do have a Harley emblem on the side, but I used them before that came about, so I don't care. They don't last long, but they stick and have a nice profile if you're not slabbing on the interstate constantly. About $100 for 4-5K.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

With the exception of choppers, I've used nothing but Dunlops for the last thirty-four years.

Comment

Working...
                      X