Larger diameter rear wheel for 1100G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger diameter rear wheel for 1100G?

I would like to know if there is an 18" wheel I could put on my '82 1100G. First gear seems "short" and I travel 80 miles per trip to work and could use a little less rpms at 70mph.

Thanks

Don't know of any 18" wheels that would fit, and it would not change your engine speed much, anyway.

About the only thing you could do (easily) to change engine speed would be to get a final drive from an '83 or newer 1100. That is a 2.91 ratio, all the other bikes are a 3.09. Keep in mind that it will only drop your engine speed about 250 rpm at 70 mph.

On other bikes that use different wheel sizes (comparing a G to a GL, for instance), the 16-inch wheel on the GL only adds about 175 rpm compared to the 17-inch wheel of the G. I think that if you were to find an 18-inch wheel, you would probably see the same drop.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with the engine speed you see at 70 mph. It just happens to fit in a very good range for power and economy. If you were to drop about 400 rpm by combining the 18-inch wheel (if you could find one) and the newer final drive, you might find that you will have to add more throttle than usual to make it over bridges on the freeway, and will probably have to downshift to pass, when necessary. All that extra throttle and downshifting will likely offset any fuel savings seen by a lower engine speed. These engines are designed to last, don't worry about spinning along at a measly 4000 rpm on the highway.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great answer, Steve. Thanks bunches.

I had the thought stuck in my head that these early '80's bikes were geared for 55 mph and are slightly over revved at the current speed limits. It's good to know I'm still in the engine's comfort zone.

And yes, fuel economy is a large factor on a 300+ mile weekly commute.

Comment

Originally posted by fivestring View Post
        It's good to know I'm still in the engine's comfort zone.
        The "comfort zone" would be any engine speed that is not displayed with a red background.

Be happy that you don't have an 850, then, or you would be seeing stuff like this:

My wife took that picture over my shoulder (at my request )

Last edited by Steve; 09-18-2013, 10:08 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 1100's have plenty of torque. I'd like to cruise at a little lower rpm too, with my '82 1100GK.
          I already have a 17" rear wheel that I'll be using on my next rear tire change. That'll also bring the GK up to G chassis spec & should help handling.
          I would also pick up an '83 or newer final drive, for a further drop, if I find one being parted.
          It's more for reducing my fatigue on long rides than any slight economy advantage..less noise, less vibs, etc.

Comment

Fivestring, no need to go to a larger rear wheel. you can change the final drive like a previous member has done and get the revs down significantly. I dont't know the particulars but see the photo.

This is an 81 GS1000G, from what I have been told it can be done for less than 300 bucks.

Comment

Steve's information is correct. I installed the rear end out of a '83 GS1100GL in my 850 and the difference was noticeable. Well worth the time and effort.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X