Sanity check on fork oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanity check on fork oil level

If I read the GS850GLZ portion of the factory manual correctly, it states that the fork oil level should be 260mm or 10.2" below the top with the forks collapsed and the spring out. That's almost double what the GS850G spec is at 140mm or 5.5".

Is this correct? Just want to make sure before I go to all the trouble of removing the forks and replacing the oil. I'll apologize in advance for not believing the factory service manual.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

The GL model has leading axle forks. That is, the axle is on the front of of the fork tube, instead of down at the end. So, all the guts of the fork are several inches farther from the top of the fork. The difference is about what you find in the oil level spec.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to doubt the manual. Errors have been detected before. Anyhow it's good that you're thinking about what you're doing instead of blindly following along.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      The GL model has leading axle forks. That is, the axle is on the front of of the fork tube, instead of down at the end. So, all the guts of the fork are several inches farther from the top of the fork. The difference is about what you find in the oil level spec.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to doubt the manual. Errors have been detected before. Anyhow it's good that you're thinking about what you're doing instead of blindly following along.
      Just a guess, but the L has longer springs, putting them in will displace more oil than the shorter G springs, so the oil level without the springs should be lower. Also the L is meant to be ridden slowly, less aggressively, so less bottoming resistance is probably required. I bet they are originally set up for a softer ride overall. Hence a larger air space above the oil works just fine.

Or something. Not a suspension expert, but I have been reading a lot about it lately due to problems with another project.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll be changing the old oil out ASAP. Picked up some 15W fork oil yesterday. I opened the bleed screw on the forks just to make sure I could and found thick silvery goop that dripped out. May even be the original fluid of 32 years. I'd say it time for a change.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Keep us posted

Let us know how this goes for you. I have the same bike and am preparing to do the same thing in a couple weeks. Hope you have no problems. And pics would be great!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
          X