No announcement yet.

Fork Oil Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished changing the fork oil in mine. Easy job and only takes a couple hours to complete. The oil in my forks was BLACK and ICKY! Each fork had oil in it, but I don't think that they were the same amount. Used mineral spirits to flush out the forks till the fluid came out fairly clear. Only took a couple of flushes to do it. Let them hang upside down over a bucket for an hour to drain them. I pumped the forks up and down a few times during the hour. Poured in oil until I was slightly above where I needed to be and then used a hand pump made from a 409 cleaner bottle to remove the excess oil. I had to add a couple inches to the dip tube in order to get the required 10.2" from the top oil level. On a non-L model I would have had to cut the tube since that requires a 5.5" oil level.

Can't test the ride right now since it raining pretty hard but I'll let you know once I do.

For anyone that's concerned on how hard this is to do... Don't worry about it. The fork caps screwed right back in without any issues. Just take your time and you'll be OK.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'm not scared just lazy. Also, I just spent 4 months getting her road ready, I WANNA HAVE SOME FUN NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by snackie View Post
        I'm not scared just lazy. Also, I just spent 4 months getting her road ready, I WANNA HAVE SOME FUN NOW!
        Spend the time and do it right! Otherwise, you may end up doing it again. Really, pulling the forks isn't all that difficult. The few extra hours you might spend doing it correctly is more than worth the piece of mind, knowing that you've done it right.

Comment

Originally posted by snackie View Post
          If you are all that lazy, maybe you chose the wrong bike.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Forks are coming off Friday or Sunday. Thanks for your concern.

Comment

Just took her for ride to work today. Huge difference in feel. No more deflection when I hit a rut in the road. Much less dive and a smooth rebound. I don't have any air in the forks right now since I'm still looking for a good low pressure gauge to adjust it with. Right now I don’t really see any emergency need for the air.

Once you get this done I'm sure that you'll notice a solid difference.

On an assembly note, I really didn’t see a need to remove the handlebars either. Once the triple tree bolts were loosened the forks just slid straight down through the clamps with the top air caps still on. I removed the springs and all once the forks were removed. I did loosen the top caps while they were still clamped up though. After servicing them, I fully assembled the forks before sliding them into the triple trees. I then performed the final tightening of the top caps once the forks were clamped back up. Assembling the forks loose was a piece of cake. Just held the fork tube with one hand and pushed down on the top cap while rotating the fork tube worked for me. Kind of like screwing the fork tube into the top cap instead of the other way around. Seemed to make it easier to keep the top cap aligned and I could feel the threads catch.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Flushed out my forks yesterday. There was a surprising amount of fluid still in them, but was nearly black in color. So, the seals are good. Let them hang upside down for about a half hour and flushed with ATF. Refilled with Belray 15w and took her for a spin, definitely better.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement.

Comment

Congratulations
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Glad it worked out the way it should have.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X