Calipers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calipers.

I am in the process of stripping down my 650 for some winter work and I am going to re-paint the calipers, question is with what?? Do I just clean them up with a wire brush, wash them with brake cleaner and then use Hammerite or do I use something like Foliatec?
    I have done some looking on the internet and I am still none the wiser, some say any black paint will do, some say Hammerite, some say to only use a special paint for calipers and some say powder coat them. All I know is that I want them to look better than they do now without spending a fortune!!

I used VHT caliper paint on mine. Came out nice, with a smooth satin finish. I'll try to post a photo or two later.

I expect powder coating would work well. Never had it done myself (on calipers, at least) but I've seen good results on this forum and elsewhere. Hammerite would probably cover well and last a while, but it's a bitch to remove a year or two down the line, and goes on a bit thick for my taste.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

I wirebrush the calipers.

Then use VHT caliper paint.

I like it so much I use it to paint all kinds of stuff.

Comment

Caliper paint or powder coat is your best bet. I use aircraft stripper to remove the old paint, if you have them powder coated they will blast them prior to coating so no need to strip them. Just make sure they protect the bores and the piston seal ring seat or they will be unusable.

Mine powder coated for my 700

Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X