1981 GS1000GL master cylinder piston removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1000GL master cylinder piston removal

I got the boot off and the circlip out and the piston won't budge. It moves freely in the cylinder and when I push it in and the spring pushes it back out it feels exactly the same as if the clip was still in there when it springs back into place. It hits with a solid thud when it springs all the way back out. I tried pulling it and prying it gently. I also tried shooting air through it and it won't budge.

I did the exact same thing with the master cylinder off of my 1000G and the piston came right out after the clip was removed but this one is obviously a little different.

What am I missing?

Probably just some crud stuck in there,let it soak in some PB blaster.

If you have an old brake lever you can try using it to remove it. Look

at my album, I used it to remove a stuck one from an L master cylinder.

Make sure to remove the circlip first.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hp?albumid=316

Comment

This happened on mine. It's just some crud blocking it at the end of travel. I just depressed the piston in all the way and quickly released, letting it thunk against the crud a few times. It will eventually spring out, so be ready. Clean out the bore so that it's perfectly smooth before reassembly.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        This happened on mine. It's just some crud blocking it at the end of travel. I just depressed the piston in all the way and quickly released, letting it thunk against the crud a few times. It will eventually spring out, so be ready. Clean out the bore so that it's perfectly smooth before reassembly.
        Tried that a few times, guess I need to keep going. I was trying to avoid spraying PB blaster or degreaser in there in case I need to reuse the internals for the time being but if I can't get it out I will try to break up the crud chemically. As long as that's all it is it has to come out eventually.

Thanks fellas!

Comment

Got it out. Soaked it in degreaser for awhile then I was able to go back in with a screwdriver to pop it out using the bolt for the handle as leverage. Didn't take much once the degreaser had lubricated the crusty washer. There was a big glob of old brake fluid with what looked and felt like chips of rust. No wonder it was sticking.

Comment

Working...
          X