front end question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front end question

Getting hair-brained with my 650L cafe project. First, does anyone know off-hand the fork tube diameter?
    Second, what would happenI if i flipped the whole frontend around so that the leading axle became a trailing axle? It would decrease trail I'm sure, and alter the caliper position, but what other effects (bad) do you envision? Steering would get quicker but still be sluggish by modern standards. I'm not saying I'm going to do this. I'm just day-dreaming.

Not sure why you think it would decrease trail.

You would be moving the axle even farther back, without moving the steering pivot axis, and that would INcrease trail.

Probably more than would be comfortable, and steering would NOT be quicker.

You are somewhat correct, it's a hare-brained idea.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Would your speedo drive still work? I used to do this many years ago when I was riding a hot rodded RD350 and wanted the front end to look like a TZ. The speedo not working only bothered me when it was time for a warrant of fitness or when i got pulled over for speeding. The RD was not leading axle hiowever so can't comment on the steering.
      • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
      • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
      • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
      • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Sorry Steve...thanks for the correction...you're right, trail would increase, and this would slow the steering. I think. I'm used to going the other way...out and away, not in and closer so my head couldnt shift gears. It's sorta a strange idea...I was just bored at work and my mind got to schemeing.
        What I'd really like to do instead is use the dual-disc KZ 1000 front end I have in my shed. Not sure if the tubes will fit in the triples though. I'm just messing around right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 650cafe View Post
          What I'd really like to do instead is use the dual-disc KZ 1000 front end I have in my shed. Not sure if the tubes will fit in the triples though. I'm just messing around right now.
          Just keep in mind that if you install tubes that re-locate the axle, you should really change the triples, too.

The triples on the "L" models have the tubes pulled back a bit, compared to the other bikes. This allows the leading axle to be right back where it is on the non-"L" models. The wheelbase, steering angle, and trail are virtually the same on both models, but the "L" bikes have the fork tubes pulled back for a pseudo-"chopper" look that was (supposedly) popular in the early 80s.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes, good point about the triples....unfortunately i dont have the KZ trees anymore, as they would have worked well as the tubes were offset forward. in all honesty i probably wont do anything with the front end for the time being....just chewing on ideas. at the moment i'm trying to find adequate rear shocks for the project, and these will no doubt affect the handling of the bike too. lots to think about with that front end though since i'd really like to have dual discs up front.
            another quick question that is somewhat off-subject but not completely. whats the word on rear wheel interchangability with the shaft-drive GSs? i'm guessing not well, but its been years since i've had a shart rear unit apart and cant quite remember how they go together inside the hub. I dont want to tear this one aprt if i dont have to.

Comment

Working...
            X