wheel damper pin removal GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel damper pin removal GS650

Having removed the rear wheel from the 83 GS650G, I'm looking to remove the wheel damper pins to inspect and lube them (I do this on all my other bikes when ever I remove the wheel).

The book doesn't say how to remove this but to confirm, I simply have to bend back the tabs that are locking in the six bolts as seen in the photo below? (better to ask a silly question than to make a painful mistake...)

Thanks in advance.

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Yes, your on the right path. Pull those 6 bolts out, the locking plates and the underlying piece of metal which holds the spline(driven gear or hub) to the wheel. The spline can be a bit hard to get off the wheel. Pull it off and look at the teeth real close and check for wear. It's really common for the 82's to be wore out. Lube with "Honda Moly 60 paste", not regular grease.

cg

This one is worn out.
    Last edited by Charlie G; 11-11-2013, 12:50 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Awesome.. Took it apart (it had never been apart before) and everything looked so new which was a surprise considering the condition of the rest of the bike. The gear teeth on both surfaces are sharp and basically unmarred. But there wasn't any sign of grease at all on the damper pins. Just minor amount of rubbing. De-greasing the old stuff off, and putting on some Honda Moly60.. sweet.

Most likely going to change out the wheel bearings even though these look to be in good shape and turn freely.

Thanks again for the info.

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Comment

Wheel bearings last a long time. Like almost forever if the are clean, dry and lubed. What color are your splines?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Wheel bearings last a long time. Like almost forever if the are clean, dry and lubed. What color are your splines?
          These bearings look clean. If I have to pull them out to regrease them, I may as well just put new ones in if I can get them at a reasonable price.

After cleaning out the damper.. I took some scotch bright to the pin holes to get the dust off the walls. The teeth (splines?) on the damper look ok under the magnifying glass, showing the same condition on both sides of the teeth.. Looks decent?

Comment

What color are they? Black, silver or gold?

Comment

What color are they? Black, silver or gold?
              More silver-ish than anything else (you mean the gear teeth?) The pins have a more gold colour to them.

Comment

The black ones are the good ones that last forever, the gold sucks and the silver were OK. Might have the gold and silver mixed up but I don't think so. Either way, the 650 is not as hard on splines as the 850 and 1100, as it's lighter and has less torque.

Comment

Note: the grease goes on the teeth of the gears.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Phew, I was sorta anticipating a doomsday response about the condition of the damper lol.

Just getting ready to pull the shaft apart to clean inspect and lube. Moly60 best used on the splines here as well?

Cheers!

Comment

I've never worked on the shaft portion and don't know what you should lube it with. I went back and looked at the pictures of the spline you posted. The teeth on it look to be about 50% gone to me. Mine were about 2/3 gone. I would replace it as I'm a bit of a worry wort and wouldn't wantit to break down on me. I just ordered one for my 1100g and it was about $143.00 from Cyclepartsnation.com. You might want to get an opion from someone else.

cg

sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Not much left. I think more like 2/3 gone. Anyone have a picture of a new one?

Comment

ergh, and THAT was the doomsday response I was hoping not to hear. Is this a comon thing with these bikes? I'm seeing these as $150 at either partshark or bikebandit... dang.

I still have the engine to finalize before deciding on this part. Hopefully the news isn't as bad..

Thanks for the advice and spotting the wear. Much appreciated.

Comment

You could probably ride it gently for a while as you look for a used one. Get the black one from an '81, they last forever.

Comment

You could probably ride it gently for a while as you look for a used one. Get the black one from an '81, they last forever.
                              Ahh great to know.. would you know if various models / engine size bikes share the same part?

Whats today's equivalent to Suzuki Bond 1215?

I've checked the swing arm for play and it appears to be good. At least that's good.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X