83 GS650G forks, seals and.. huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS650G forks, seals and.. huh?

Hi folks, back again for some advice, pointers and info..

This time it's about the forks. I will most likely need to change the oil and seals in the forks and after refering to the manual from Cliff's site (awesome thanks!) I discover that the forks on my GS650G do not match up with what's in the manual.. erk. The book shows what appears to be a shrader air valve at the top of the forks, but my bike has a plastic cap that hides a dimpled end cap.. no allen socket, bolt or nut.. and no air valve.

Closer inspection shows what appears to be a hose (air line?) between the top of the forks, just below the top fork clamps, and a nut (rusted of course) sticking out of the left side. The lines and nut are attached to collars around the forks and under the top clamps..

Doing a search on this site and googlation, I still haven't found the info I'm looking for. I won't be tackling the forks soon but gathering up the information for when the time comes.

I gather this set up with the air line and nut is to have balanced air charge between the forks. Nice, but how does it come apart and re-installed..

Fun fun fun! Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Cheers

Show us a picture? Sounds like the forks from an 1100E.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My forks are like that. I'm looking to get rid of the entire anti-dive capability, though. Hopefully someone in here will tell us what to do about that because there are holes in the forks to exchange air between them and Idunno how to plug them.

Also, on the hose, there is a swivel so you an hold the hose and unscrew it from one side then unscrew the other side. The collars on the forks only have two o-rings so slide them up over the top of the fork when you have them out of the handlebar clamp.

Comment

Like this?These are 83 750 forks on my 85 750.Once you release them from the triples they just slide off.On the OP's they are held in with the headlight ears like the E model 750,the ES has clips on the forks to hold them on the top.

Comment

It is the same on my 650GD. While common in other models, it is unique in the 650G offerings...I assume you found the valve behind the nut on the left side? It isn't obvious, but you will see it if you look a bit.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Here's what I'm looking at..

I haven't attempted removing anything yet before I find out what I have in front of me (a mess or not a mess)

Cheers

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Checkout the full domain details of Eastcoastphotos.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Comment

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Seems your forks are stock.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks, Nessism. My lack of experience with this type of bike or forks doesn't permit me to see how these would come apart though.. hopefully it will become somewhat self-evident when the time comes to remove them.

I did manage to get the nut off and discovered an air valve underneath, no air pressure in forks.. not surprising.

Below are links to pics showing what I have thus far.

and what is under the top cap..

Comment

I've only see one 83 650g (BigD83's) and it had this type of forks. It would be a better set up than the 81 & 82. The 650m Katana may also have it.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                  X