Rear Suspension general query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Suspension general query

Hi folks, just a (hopefully) quick question in regards to rear shocks for the GS650G bike I'm in the process of working on.

When keeping an out for rear shocks, what is the length dimension I should be looking for? Is it measured from centre of mounting bolt hole to bolt hole? So if determine the size of my rear shocks when off the bike as being roughly 13.5 inches, would that then mean I should be looking at aftermarket shocks of equal length? It might seem like an obvious answer to most if not all, but when searching for suspension + GS650G I end up with various available lengths. I can get a new set of Progressive 412 (shock and springs) locally for $300 or used ones for $40 kind of deals.. but would like to know what length should I be focusing on.

I plan to first ride the bike with the original shocks (though the bumpers are cracked and look like they'll shatter apart on the first big hit...) but know that if I decide to make this a fun rider, I will want to do the suspension properly for all the twisties we have around here..

Thanks again.

I don't have a 650G handy to verify your shock length, but yes, you measure center of bolt to center of bolt. Somewhere in the range of 13 to 13.5 inches sounds pretty close. Many of the suspension sites say that their 330mm shocks are correct, and that converts to 13 inches.

Your next question is going to be "what brand?", I'm sure. If you look on eBay, you will see EMGO or MDI shocks for about $100 (new). The spring rate is a little stiff on those, but the damping is absolutely rock hard. They will feel like you installed solid struts, unless you happen to weigh about 400 pounds. If ALL of your riding will be two-up, they might not feel bad, but be advised they are STIFF.

Other choices will be Hagon for about $200 and Progressive for about $300. Either of them will be vastly better than the MDIs. You can contact the manufacturer or distributor for either one of them for information on selecting proper spring rates.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Steve.. Most likely the Hagons will suffice unless I can find progressives at a discount price..

Now waiting on postal services to deliver parts so I can continue with the engine work and keep going on other sections of the bike.

Cheers

Comment

Also, Y.S.S.:

Discover YSS Suspension, Thailand's leading motorcycle suspension brand. Elevate your ride with our innovative products like the PD Valve Fork Emulator and Fork Cartridge Kits. Trusted in over 30 countries, YSS promises unmatched comfort, control, and precision for every journey. Experience the difference today.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
        X