When to Replace Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Replace Tires

I did a search of the forum using the word “tire” in the title and after reading through 14 pages of posts I decided this particular question has not been addressed in any tire thread (at least not that I could find). Lots of threads deal with which new tire to buy, but none really says how to know when to replace your tires. So I did my own internet search engine inquiry and found several resources that I want to share with The GSR.

1. The first is a youtube video (When to Change Your Motorcycle tire) that shows you and tells you the things to look for that indicate replacement is necessary. The most obvious indication is when the surface tread is even with the wear bars in the groove of the tread. The host of the video shows you how to locate the wear bars. This is an obvious indication but I, for one, had no idea there was such a thing. Surprisingly, I saw only a passing mention of wear bars in the myriad of forum posts I read but no explanation of them. The video gives a clear explanation and shows you how they look in the tread groove and when to get new tires. He also covers various types of uneven tread wear and cracking and other hazardous tire conditions. Here’s the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Yq7DMRwbw

2. The second resource is a pdf file on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation web site. This article explains many facets of motorcycle tires using text and pics. The first thing mentioned is the tread ”wear bars”. When they become even with the surface tread the tire needs replaced. Aside from tread depth, there is information regarding cuts, uneven wear, tire inflation, the heat cycle, shedding of water, speed index, load index, and how to read the codes on the sidewall. They mention that you may check your tread by turning a penny upside down in the groove of the tread and if the top of Lincoln’s head is exposed you need new tires. There is a very clear explanation with pics of how to find and read the date of manufacture of your tire. As I said, a lot of good information. I saved it to my laptop. Here’s the link http://msf-usa.org/downloads/MIC_Tire_Guide_2012V1.pdf

3. Believe it or not, the last good resource is an article at Bike Bandit. This is a very good summary of many of the things already mentioned. Tread thickness and tread bars are mentioned. There is also a very good pic of how a penny is used to determine whether your tread is too thin. Something mentioned on Bike Bandit that I did not see on any other resource, including the GSR is the life span of the tire. To be sure, the dangers of old tires are trumpeted on our web site, but no specific description of how old is too old is given. Bike Bandit specifies that all tires have a life span and for many tires that life span is 5 years. If tires are 5 yrs. old they should be replaced. Of course BB mentions that many factors may reduce life span, such as exposure to direct sun light, so that replacement may be necessary even sooner. Although life span was mentioned on the GSR I had to infer from many posts that some people are comfortable with three riding seasons and some four. The BB article contains information on a variety of relevant topics for tire maintenance. It is worth the read. Here’s the link http://www.bikebandit.com/community/...s#.Up599r4o7IU

In summary, when should you replace your tires? Check the thread depth by noting the surface tread in relation to the wear bars or use the top of Lincoln’s head on a penny as a general guide. Also look for uneven wear, cuts, and cracks. And finally, if your tires are more than three yrs old you may want to consider a replacement set. If your tires are over five years old, definitely get new ones.

I hope this summary of when to replace your motorcycle tires is helpful to other newbies, such as myself, who may have had no idea where to begin, other than “When it’s bald”.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2013, 10:36 PM. Reason: cause i never get it right the first time; or second

Before it kills you would be good. When a newer tire would ride better would be a better answer.

I love new tires, they feel so much better than broken ribs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Before it kills you would be good. When a newer tire would ride better would be a better answer.

Now, that's not very helpful, tkent . In fact, I would conjecture that you don't decide your next purchase of tires that way. When would a newer tire "ride better"? Everyone must weigh the factors of price for a new tire against a desired outcome, like, "Gee, I'll bet a new tire would give me more confidence in the twisties." Cost must be a consideration, at least for 99% of us. Miles, tread depth, how long they've been on the bike, and uniformity of wear must be factors you consider.

So, how do you decide when it is time? Do you go a whole riding season on a set of tires then think, I better have a look to see if they are nearing replacement time? Do you go 2 seasons? What are the factors that you actually use to determine when you will get a new set?

That's the kind of consideration that newbies find helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
        Now, that's not very helpful, tkent . In fact, I would conjecture that you don't decide your next purchase of tires that way. When would a newer tire "ride better"? Everyone must weigh the factors of price for a new tire against a desired outcome, like, "Gee, I'll bet a new tire would give me more confidence in the twisties." Cost must be a consideration, at least for 99% of us. Miles, tread depth, how long they've been on the bike, and uniformity of wear must be factors you consider.

So, how do you decide when it is time? Do you go a whole riding season on a set of tires then think, I better have a look to see if they are nearing replacement time? Do you go 2 seasons? What are the factors that you actually use to determine when you will get a new set?

That's the kind of consideration that newbies find helpful.
        I get new tires when I buy a bike. Usually sell it before they are worn. The few bikes I have kept the tires get replaced before the wear bars in almost every case. Before they start to ride funny, long before they lose their tread. I did misjudge my tire wear on a trip last spring, ran it way too far trying to get home. Bad idea, but got away with it with a little help from my friends.

I have broken five ribs and a collarbone because of running old tires too long.
        Could have easily been killed had I landed differently.

Don't mess around. Get new tires before you need them. Get good tires, too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Yeah, probably better to do it before rather than after. Hehe.

Comment

I made the mistake once of not replacing the tires and ridding a bike.... Kenda challengers, on a ride the front end started to death wobble on the highway.... Lucky me I slowed down, got off the highway and limped it home to find a crack straight across the tread! guy swore he just replaced them but after reading the tire stamp found out they were kissing a decade old.
            I won't ride on Kenda's ever again for I hate the ride, but I run Shinkos, good cheap tire. On my FZ1 I go through 4 rears and 2 fronts in one season. As soon as the bike rides funny or notice a vibration I just order a new one.
            I don't make it to the wear bars usually for I too order on bike feel. I've never had a bike that makes it through one season on the same set of tires... I guess I just ride too much.
            But if there over 2 years old for the piece of mind just order new ones. I would...
            My 2 cents.
            -Justin
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

In addition to the above flatspotting will kill a tire before its time. Out here in Flatistan we ride many miles on long, straight roads. The tires develop flat spots in the middle of the tread. Even with tread still showing these flat spots can impact handling so much that it is time to replace the tire.

My Bandit is very susceptible to this. The handling is noticeably degraded. A new set of tires and the bike feels like new again!
              Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
              Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

You need to change them right about when you are asking yourself, I wonder if I need to change my tires.
                Hondas
                '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                Suzuki
                '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                Kaw
                '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                  You need to change them right about when you are asking yourself, I wonder if I need to change my tires.
                  I dunno if you can really trust that. In the middle of rally, in a remote part of northern WI, on a Saturday afternoon, of the guys riding with us (a noob) asked, "do you think there is something wrong with my rear tire?"

We checked and it and sure enough there were cords showing around most of the center of the tread.

So, if you've got good instricts, your method might work. But better keep an eye on the tires anyway
                  Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                  Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                    So, if you've got good instricts, your method might work. But better keep an eye on the tires anyway
                    We are saying close to the same thing. There are only consequences for riding without good instincts or with arrogance. In your example, the noob had instinct to ask and needed the tires addressed. Good thing you were there to help with the ignorance. I am sure you had a good, somewhat paniced, discussion and then wondered what questions the noob didn't have the instinct to ask.

The gsr is so great from that perspective.
                    Hondas
                    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                    Suzuki
                    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

When the cords start to show?

Comment

Working...
                      X