81 GS650 Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650 Suspension

Ok what is the combo you have found to work the best? I found some progressive front springs which I run on a couple of my other bikes and like them, but just wanted the pro's opinions. What weight fork oil have you used and what's your opinion? Also what are the best bang for the buck rear shocks? I'm not trying to drag my knees but just want it to feel a bit more solid in the curvy mountain roads that we have a ton of around here. Thanks in advance!

Cartridge emulators on the front with some new springs, Hagons are OK on the back, probably the best of the cheaper shocks. Get the ones with the adjustable damping.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Cartridge emulators on the front with some new springs, Hagons are OK on the back, probably the best of the cheaper shocks. Get the ones with the adjustable damping.
      I put the emulators on the front of mine per tkent's recommendation. I used stock springs cut to compensate for the emulator length and 15w oil. I'm going to try 10w next spring and see what change it makes.I was having a hard time getting used to them until I adjusted the stock rear shocks to the stiffest setting. Much better after that. The stock rears were much to soft, even with my 150 lb frame and created a front end wobble when leaning hard into and out of a turn. I'm just starting to get a grasp of the dynamics of this, but adjustable dampening on the rear makes a lot of sense from what I've observed.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

On all of our bikes, I have installed 10w fork oil with no complaints.

Progressive fork springs on most of them, only one GS has newer shocks at the rear, and they are the MDI specials.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, you should try the emulators. Turns the old clunky GSes into smoothies.

Comment

I am considering that when I get "Junior" back on the road.

Where is a good source for them?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Race tech.

Comment

OK. Got your PM, too.

Will have to see which forks I have.

Won't be working on this until after the first of the year, so there is plenty of time yet.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                  ...............until I adjusted the stock rear shocks to the stiffest setting. Much better after that. The stock rears were much to soft, even with my 150 lb frame and created a front end wobble when leaning hard into and out of a turn. I'm just starting to get a grasp of the dynamics of this, but adjustable dampening on the rear makes a lot of sense from what I've observed.

cg
                  sure sounds to me like your rear shocks are to blame here.I'm at 170 lbs and with shocks at mid stiff setting absolutely no sign of bottoming (or front end wooble) and I ride on lots of pitiful roads.Still OK with 120 lb passenger, but I don't push it then. I use 15 weight oil in front- this might be a tad stiff.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X