Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.5" shocks on 1978 gs750

Hey guys,

I am having suspension clearance issues with my new seat (it's just a simple flat seat that extends 29"straight back from the tank, following the frame lines) and am trying to figure out how to solve it. To keep my seat (i like the style) it looks like I have two options that may not be exclusive (definitely can't ride double right now): get much stronger springs (ie. 220# or 240#, btw i weight 190#) or get longer shocks (go from 13" to 14.5", maybe a little less), or both. I have heard that the longer shocks will require mods or elimination of the passenger pegs and may have some issues with chain tension. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2013, 12:02 AM. Reason: got the year wrong

Opinions anyone?

Comment

Maybe a picture would help.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have no idea about the passenger pegs but I can't see why you'd need to chop them off... I don't see how it would change things enough to be an interference thinking of my GS1000.

I have 13.5 or 14" shocks on my skunk (can't remember offhand) they work fine. I have Works Performance ones with their ARS system which is great if you want to ride 2 up occasionally/regularly as it's so easy to change & change back.

Remember you'll have to lengthen or put a block under your sidestand.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X