GS1000G fork spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G fork spacer

I own a 81 GS1000G loads of people have told me that to improve the front forks I should fit a 1"" ( 25mm ) spacer under the fork cap and not pressurize with air. So I'm asking the experts their opinion on the subject, any help will be appreciated.

You have some choices but that is not the best of them as you're simply changing preload - the "start" point at which the spring starts to compress not the actual spring rate.

You can:

A: Cut your springs & replace that length with spacer (PVC pipe)
    B: Replace your springs with Progressive
    C: Replace your springs with Sonic Straight (or Racetech if you're feeling flush).

For the ultimate go with Sonic or Racetech straight weight & Cartridge Emulators. (around $250 if you fit yourself).

A lot depends on how deep your pockets are & what you are trying to achieve but using the air feature is certainly not the best way.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You need to learn how to set your "static sag" as well... It's not just about adding an inch, you need to measure.

Read MCN's expert guide to setting up your suspension, including sag, rebound and compression. It really is shockingly simple.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks

Many thanks for the info.

Comment

Another vote for PVC as a cheap and easy to make spacer.

Comment

Working...
          X