Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any spoked wheel experts in the crowd???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any spoked wheel experts in the crowd???

I have a question about my wheels. Alloy rim spoked wheels from a 1978 or so GS1000.

How tight is too tight on the spokes? I thought we used to try for a middle C note, but it's been a long time since I played with spoked wheels. When I set the spokes for a middle C tone some of the nipples almost spin by hand. I don't think they will stay tight, not sure.

If I screw then in until they seem tight enough to stay put it's a really high pitched "Ting"

I think it might be too tight and break the hub if I hit a bump or something.

Any ideas?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    I have a question about my wheels. Alloy rim spoked wheels from a 1978 or so GS1000.

How tight is too tight on the spokes? I thought we used to try for a middle C note, but it's been a long time since I played with spoked wheels. When I set the spokes for a middle C tone some of the nipples almost spin by hand. I don't think they will stay tight, not sure.

If I screw then in until they seem tight enough to stay put it's a really high pitched "Ting"

I think it might be too tight and break the hub if I hit a bump or something.

Any ideas?
    Ideas? Take them to a wheel builder, that's one.

Comment

Not gonna happen.

Unless I can't get it right.

Comment

They'll all make a different note Tom. Just make sure that none make a dull thud (too loose) or a high ping with no resonance whatsoever (too tight). Something like the range of the notes on a cheap xylophone (that I bashed at infant school) is about right.

Edit: and if you have to overtighten to get the thing to run true start again.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I actually know the answer to this.
          "middle C" ,...That's a good one. Good luck!

Comment

OK, I have them on there so the rims are straight, all close to the same tone. Not sure how far up your old Xylophone went. It is higher tone than all of the dirt bikes in the garage, and the other 550 with the spoked wheels. I check them all once in a while, the nipples seem to feel tight awhile making a much lower tone than the ones on these wheels.

Thanks.

Comment

OK, I have them on there so the rims are straight, all close to the same tone. Not sure how far up your old Xylophone went. It is higher tone than all of the dirt bikes in the garage, and the other 550 with the spoked wheels. I check them all once in a while, the nipples seem to feel tight awhile making a much lower tone than the ones on these wheels.

Thanks.
              as long as it doesn't "thunk" or make no tone you should be fine. give it a whack and check again.

Comment

Not sure how far up your old Xylophone went. It is higher tone than all of the dirt bikes in the garage, and the other 550 with the spoked wheels.
                How do the length of the spokes compare?

If the dirt bikes have larger wheels with longer spokes, they will sound a lower tone. Shorter spokes will ring higher with the same tension applied.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

(I actually do "tune" them, but I have been tuning piannys for a long time.)

I go through them 2 or three times so I don't have to adjust them much by the third time around, I do one side, then the other, to load the tension equally. Before I tuned motorcyle spokes I tuned bicycle spokes, so that was good practice.

Of course, as you mentioned, you make sure the rims are straight. You can do it "by feel" like you would a torque
                  wrench. Then you pluck the spokes, just like tuning a harp with really thick strings.
                  Last edited by gsgeezer; 01-07-2014, 06:08 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                    I actually do "tune" them, but I have been tuning piannys for a long time.
                    OK, then on the pianny, which note would you consider too tight?

Comment

OK, then on the pianny, which note would you consider too tight?
                      I use a tuning fork to "pitch" the first note (a440, whatever) on pianos, but on spokes I start plucking them to see which ones are the highest pitch, then average that. Obviously you don't want them too tight but, you don't want a "thud", either.

I haven't thought about checking the exact frequency of spokes, but it would be easy to do, since you can download free guitar tuning apps. On pianos, frequency of a string has to be within one one-hundreth of a semitone, on a spoke you don't have to get that exact!
                      Last edited by gsgeezer; 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If the dirt bikes have larger wheels with longer spokes, they will sound a lower tone. Shorter spokes will ring higher with the same tension applied.

Of course, that's what I was missing. These are also heavier spokes, so they will resonate at a lower tone for a given tension.
                        Thanks Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                          I use a tuning fork to get the pitch on pianos, but on spokes I start plucking them to see which ones are the highest pitch, then average that. Obviously you don't want them too tight but, you don't want a "thud", either.

I haven't thought about checking the pitch exactly but it would be easy to do, since you can download free guitar tuning apps. On pianos, frequency of a string has to be within one one-hundreth of a semitone, on a spoke you don't have to get that exact!
                          I know it doesn't have to be exact, but I also know too tight will break things. I just don't knoe how tight is too tight.

Comment

I know it doesn't have to be exact, but I also know too tight will break things. I just don't knoe how tight is too tight.
                            Like turning a wrench on a bolt, you will feel things start to get tight and then you will break one. You can practice on a bike, I remember breaking a spoke when I was a kid. I would mainly be worried about being too loose. Like I said, check ones that feel tight and listen to the pitch of those.

I think I acutally do every other one on one side, then do the other side, pluck and listen as you go then repeat. Don't try to change them all at once, go over it a few times.

1979 GS1000

Comment

After further ponderance, I think that middle C thing came from bicycles with 27" wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X