Fork Swap Needed - GS to GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Swap Needed - GS to GS

Hey all, I have a 1980 gs1100L 16v. It has the L-shaped forks. I need to swap in a non-L fork so that I can use a brake conversion kit. I don't know anything about motorcycle suspension, rake, geometry, etc; So I was hoping someone here could provide some advice. I don't intend on running rear sets, but don't mind an aggressive stance either. I don't want to lose turning stability.

Also, will I need to swap the triple trees too?

Thanks in advance.

If you simply swap fork tube, you WILL upset the steering geometry of the bike.

To restore proper geometry, you WILL need to change the triple trees, too.

Which ones will you need? Sorry, I don't have a clue about that, but I have heard of some rather simple swaps, just can't tell you what was used.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does anyone know the stock rake trail and offset for the different GS models? Maybe that would be a good starting point to determine what would fit me best. Id rather have the bike quick in the turns, which means a lower rake shorter fork would be in order. This is the style of most GS bikes. The L forks seem to be longer and have a higher rake.

Comment

All Balls Racing Bearing and Seals packages all the needed parts to help with rebuilding your ATV, Dirt Bike, Street Bike, V-Twin,Snowmobile, All Balls manufactures 133 swing arm kits to cover more models than anyone, from 1973 to current,

Early 90s gsxr750 or 1100 seem to be a good option, with cbr 929 triples. wont lose much length, and you will get USD forks +better suspension and brakes.

Comment

Thanks for the link, but i'm not looking to upgrade to modern forks. I like the stance of my bike as is. Is there anywhere that has triple tree rake angles for the various models? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Basically, I need to swap in either 1980 GS1000G or 1980 GS850G forks. Those forks are identical, the triples are different. I have no way of knowing the differences between the triples other than looking at pictures of both bikes and comparing their rake, which seems to be the same. Its likely going to differ when installing on my bike, unless all the frames are identical.

Does anyone know if this is the case?
          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Where are you at? I have a whole set including the triples.
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
              Is there anywhere that has triple tree rake angles for the various models? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.
              I think the angles are listed in the chassis Specifications section of each bike's workshop manual.

Look on BassCliff's site for manuals.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

After more consideration, i'm keeping my L fork. It has a nice rake and if I swap to an 850, its going to have a shorter stance like a sport bike. I'm just going to fabricate my own brake brackets.

Thanks for the help all.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                  It has a nice rake and if I swap to an 850, its going to have a shorter stance like a sport bike.
                  This is not true. Did you look at the specs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I didnt, but from the looks, its a shorter fork. There is definitely more rake with my fork and trips than most other GS. I think the 1980 gs1100lt trips are unique. Could be ny imagination tho, because I could find rake angle specs on trips in the book.

Comment

Could also be frame steering tube angle, also have no way to verify.

Comment

Maybe refresh your Trig? You can measure and calculate.
                        The '80-'81 1100E had much the same front end except for the adjustable rebound. Suzuki, at the time, liked to keep thing much the same.
                        So maybe, You want a 1000 Katana front end and wheels? I am selling my setup.
                        Even the frame geometry was much the same between all the GS's. Just a little different things between them all. Raking the front out makes it handle poorly and more like a chopper.
                        Laters
                        Greg
                        sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                        2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                        Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                        '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                          Maybe refresh your Trig? You can measure and calculate.
                          The '80-'81 1100E had much the same front end except for the adjustable rebound. Suzuki, at the time, liked to keep thing much the same.
                          So maybe, You want a 1000 Katana front end and wheels? I am selling my setup.
                          Even the frame geometry was much the same between all the GS's. Just a little different things between them all. Raking the front out makes it handle poorly and more like a chopper.
                          Laters
                          Greg
                          What year is your 1000? I am looking for a specific fork lower because they work with a brake setup that I want to install.

Also, after looking at the manual, I see that the 1100LT and 850G have the exact same rake (Caster). The trail of the 850 is 113mm, 1100 is 103mm.

Comment

If you put E/G model forks in L triples you increase rake and trail and end up with slower steering bike.
                            People have done it both ways and reported back that handling wasn't dangerous but I have no personal experience
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The frontend is a center axle. Pretty much uses the same caliper as the rest of the same generation Suzuki's.

Look and see if it is what you want.

You should not mix leading axle and center axle parts. You could wind up with too much trail or not enough and have a serious wobbler.
                              I think the difference in trail is just from tire diameter. And how much air was in the tire.
                              You can also shorten the travel of the fork so it does not extend so much to lower the front as well. You do not need 6 1/2" of travel on a street bike. 4.5" is perfect as it is not a dirtbike.
                              Keep it in mind.
                              Laters
                              G
                              sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                              2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                              Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                              '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Working...
                              X