Spoke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
    I measured the GS spokes, checked with Mike's and asked if they had anything similar. They said the closest was a set for a 64 spoke Heritage Special. However, the description for the spokes said there were two different lengths each for outer and inner spokes. The GS wheel has 36 spokes so I would need to use two each inner and outer of different lengths. I replied to them and asked how much the difference in length was but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Here's the reply from Mike's XS about the 64 spoke wheel kit lengths: Thanks,
    Joe

Ok 1st of the inners is 7 ½ inches long the 2nd inner is 7 ¾ inches long. The 1st outer is 7 3/8 inches and the 2nd is 7 5/8 inches long they are all within ¼ of an inch of each other (that’s total length included threads). You have enough threads to adjust in up to ½ inch on each spoke.

Thanks,
    Joe

IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Okay, the spoke kits for a '78 GS750 arrived today. Comparing them to the original '78 GS1000 spokes they are a bit different but I think they will work fine. First, they are slightly longer but it looks like they are not too long to use without cutting them down. Second, the nipples are shorter and have Phillips shaped openings in the bottom while the originals hex straight slots. I have removed and replaced a couple spokes and it appears the new ones thread about two additional turns compared to the originals to attain the same (by sound) spoke tightness. The only slight downside is that the original nipples completely cover the spoke threads while the new ones leave a couple threads exposed, no big deal in my opinion. The wire sizes are identical, 3.18mm for the narrow section, 4.00mm for the thick section.

Can you spot the one new spoke?

Shiny spoke front wheel coming up!

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I think I am going to classify this project as a success.....

Before:

After:

And, as usual, pictures don't do it justice.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

"BLING!" (morecharacters)

Comment

Thanks for nothing, Joe.
            I thought the wheels on my '78 were nice, now i see i have a ton of polishing in my future.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
              Here's the reply from Mike's XS about the 64 spoke wheel kit lengths: Thanks,
              Joe

Ok 1st of the inners is 7 ½ inches long the 2nd inner is 7 ¾ inches long. The 1st outer is 7 3/8 inches and the 2nd is 7 5/8 inches long they are all within ¼ of an inch of each other (that’s total length included threads). You have enough threads to adjust in up to ½ inch on each spoke.

Looking at these measurements I think the Mike's XS spokes would work, depending on how they measured the length. If measured from the center of the top to the bottom of the threads the GS750 spokes are about 7 1/2 inches long. The 64 spoke XS kit lengths range from 7 3/8 to 7 3/4 inches. You could probably use the 7 1/2 inners and two of the 7 3/4 inners which would likely need to be trimmed a bit. You could probably use the 7 5/8 outers with two of the 7 3/8 outers. These are a bit more expensive than the GS750 spokes, $71 vs. $54 but are stainless and you would have plenty of spares. One thing to check if going this way would be wire diameter. The 64 spoke design might use thinner spokes.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Thanks for nothing, Joe.
                I thought the wheels on my '78 were nice, now i see i have a ton of polishing in my future.
                Sorry, Steve.....

You may want to consider replacing the spokes. You can swap spokes one (outer) or two (inner) at a time and it makes it much easier to clean the rim and hub while the spokes are out. Plus the plating on 35 year old spokes, which probably wasn't great to begin with, may be wearing thin. That is why mine looked so dull. A lot of the original plating wore off trying to get them polished nicely. I haven't put the wheel on a stand to check runout yet but I expect it to be very close since there were never more than two spokes out at a time.

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Great thread, very interesting. I wonder if the MikesXS rims are useable with 750 hubs and spokes?

Nate B

Comment

I probably worded that wrong.
                    It should have read...thanks for the inspiration to clean my wheels. haha.
                    A buddy swears by these brushes although i have never used one.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by blackhammer View Post
                      Great thread, very interesting. I wonder if the MikesXS rims are useable with 750 hubs and spokes?
                      I think they would work. The only difference would be the depth of the drop center which shouldn't vary much. Also, they don't list a 17" rear if that's what you have.

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        I probably worded that wrong.
                        It should have read...thanks for the inspiration to clean my wheels. haha.
                        A buddy swears by these brushes although i have never used one.
                        http://www.jpcycles.com/product/2000155
                        No worries, Steve, I took your comment as a compliment. The J&P brush has a lot of good reviews, may be worth picking one up.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I've been toying with the idea of build a set that way with some spare hubs i have, and using an 18" rear. Ive got a set im getting made with wider rims that are costing $$$$+, however i'm interested if there is a more budget conscious way to build some wire wheels with just the hubs.
                          You seem to have researched it quite thoroughly yourself already.

Nate B

Comment

Wow, thanks for the heads up about Mike'sXS wheels. Two black 2.25 x 19 and 2.5 x 18 rims for under $200! I'm thinking my 550/650 will be sporting a pair of these soon!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Holy cow Joe, a little OCD?? so bright I gotta wear shades
                              Last edited by azr; 02-05-2014, 12:30 AM.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Joe, a question for you on alternate lacing styles.

Do you know if the GS hub/rim lacing can be done in the inner/inner style? Where all the spokes drop into the hub from the outside in. Have you ever done this?

I'm contemplating a build which would require all the caliper clearance I can get. This means no spokes bending outward from the hub. I'm thinking my spokes would have to be stronger though.

I suspect I would just do the inner/inner lacing with custom spokes, going from one hub hole to the nipple directly below and skip one as I go around on the one side.... (just guessing here).

Any down sides with this approach? Should spokes not align straight towards the hub for any reason?

....then again, maybe I should just leave a custom lacing to the pros....

Comment

Working...
                                X