Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave the lid off the master while bleeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave the lid off the master while bleeding?

I ran my calipers & master cylinders front & rear through my ultrasonic cleaner. They came out perfect so I reassembled them & am getting ready to bleed my brakes.
    My question is, can I leave the top off the master while I bleed them as long as I keep it full of fluid or do I need to screw the top back on each time?
    I'm just trying to make sure I don't add any additonal air to the fluid.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

You don't have to put on the lid but watch the return port squirting.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Paul...ever so slightly wiggle the lever and youll get tiny bubbles to come out the return. this is getting some of the air out of the piston and bore. Use of a mighty vac eliminates the need for this, of course.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Mc

I'm using a pump to force the Dot3/4 fluid on my new braided line and rebuilt caliper.

I've also kept the MC cover off and see the little bubbles coming out the second hole inside the MC. I'll re-engage soon because the weather is getting warmer here and I wanna ride. Good luck with your's.

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-15-2014, 03:01 AM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Perfect.....thanks everyone.
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
            I ran my calipers & master cylinders front & rear through my ultrasonic cleaner. They came out perfect so I reassembled them & am getting ready to bleed my brakes.
            My question is, can I leave the top off the master while I bleed them as long as I keep it full of fluid or do I need to screw the top back on each time?
            I'm just trying to make sure I don't add any additonal air to the fluid.

Yes you can do it with the cap off and it's required if you do the bump method.
            Don't forget to cover your tank and the surrounding area with rags, just in case.

I used the lever bump method and it worked great.
            Once you see the bubbles coming up you will know how much to bump the lever, I used short fast bumps on the lever, about 1/2" travel and after 15 seconds I would squeeze the lever in all the way very carefully to test for resistance.
            It took only a few minutes before I started to feel pressure and a few more minutes and it was done.

I needed only one or maybe two top ups during the process.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Working...
            X