A few questions about my brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about my brakes.

I'm at work right now, and not able to consult my manual, and my bike is still in storage, so I can't really check it myself, so I'm turning to this forum to answer a few question (and to keep me entertained while I'm at work!).

I have an 81 GS400L. I'm planning on bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake pads as part of my spring maintenance before I get it back out on the road.

1st question: what size wrench and tube will I need to open the bleed nipple and drain the brake fluid on the front brake? I think it's a 6mm screw but I don't know for sure without looking. I went to Home Depot today and bough a piece of 1/4 clear vinyl tubing to use, but that seems a bit small. Will this work on my bike or will I need a bigger size?

2nd question: what size/type/brand brake pads am I looking for to replace my front brakes? I've never had to shop for pads for a bike, so I don't really know what to look for. Also, where would I buy these? There's a few bike shops around town that probably have pads, but is anywhere cheaper than the next guy? What about online?

3rd question: I thought my back brakes were drum brakes, but I'm not finding any info on changing rear wheel brake drum shoes. Do I have hydraulic rear brakes as well?

Thanks for answering, any info is appreciated!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hello.

1) Most bleeders use an 8mm wrench. 1/4" tubing should be fine. If it's too tight you can always soak it in hot water for a few seconds.

2) Part number for a pad set (front) is 59302-45850-XNA. It's a fairly common set but there aren't many options for compounds. Online is pretty much the cheapest but I tend to patronize local shops when I can even if they're higher.

3) Yes, drum brake in the rear. Changing pads requires wheel removal. Once you get the wheel out it's self-explanatory.

-Deek

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveThumpers View Post
      Hello.

1) Most bleeders use an 8mm wrench. 1/4" tubing should be fine. If it's too tight you can always soak it in hot water for a few seconds.

2) Part number for a pad set (front) is 59302-45850-XNA. It's a fairly common set but there aren't many options for compounds. Online is pretty much the cheapest but I tend to patronize local shops when I can even if they're higher.

3) Yes, drum brake in the rear. Changing pads requires wheel removal. Once you get the wheel out it's self-explanatory.

-Deek

Thanks, hopefully I can find the pads cheap enough around town. Gives me a good excuse to check local bike shops for more goodies I can't afford!

Comment

Working...
      X