Strap method new tire install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strap method new tire install.

Just used the lash strap method to install my new rear tire on the 'tona, as mentioned in this thread.

Used six lash straps and a bit of plain clean water to slip the bead around. Had to use my knees to walk the bead (just literally inching it around) around the second half of the rim, but was pretty much hassle-free and very quick. Made very very sure to keep the beads as centered between the sides of the rim as possible, and also as close to the inside center of the rim as possible for more clearance.

From start to finish, from installing straps to setting the beads with a compressor, took roughly twenty-five minutes.

Big thumbs-up for the procedure, can't wait to see how well it works on the front.

I'll try to remember to take/post pics for the front tire. I figure the front will be a bit more relevant for GS's since it's a 120.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2014, 03:08 PM. Reason: added more detail.

Thanks for update- I'm about to mount new rear tire- might try this if my old school method can't be retrieved from my memory!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Finally got around to the front tire (it's been a busy few weeks).

Used the strap method for tire removal this time instead of a hacksaw, worked great. Did use a long lever and rim protector just to get the bead past the rim initially, but hand pressure was all it took for the rest. I suspect that the lever was probably not necessary, but I was feeling lazy.

Getting the new front tire installed was as simple and painless as the rear, possibly even faster since I cut the straps down to a reasonable length (they were originally 12 feet and I trimmed them to just over 24 inches) and had a better time with strap placement. Didn't even need any water on the bead this time around.

I'll do a 1st ride review asap and we'll see how the new tires like the dynabeads with which they are paired.

Oh, FWIW, installed tires are a F/R set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's.

Comment

Working...
      X