Gsx750 1981 without air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsx750 1981 without air

I have replaced the seals on my gsx(gs in US) only to find that they have different internals,a single spring with a spacer tube on top and no air capability. If I keep this set up can I add more oil to make up for the air. This set up is very soft. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Increase the spacer length with schedule 40 3/4" plastic pipe to give you a sag of around 1.5".

I wouldn't add any more fork oil...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Tomahawk

Thanks for that,I made an alloy washer with posts to locate in the spring and tube preventing the taper of the spring sliding into the tube. I'll check the sag and go from there.i should have mentioned in my original post I had two oil levels sourced from different sites one for a fork with air and one without I chose the lesser amount to be safe. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk View Post
        i should have mentioned in my original post I had two oil levels sourced from different sites one for a fork with air and one without I chose the lesser amount to be safe. Thanks again.
        The OEM service manual I have gives two different fork oil "capacities" based on the model. Although the oil volumes are different, the oil "levels" given are essentially the same:

L or T Model - 237 ml (volume), 229 mm (level)
        E Model - 191 ml (volume), 227 mm (level)

The oil level is the preferred measurement, measured with the fork fully compressed & with spring removed.

Any pics of your bike you can post? We love pics!
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Tomahawk

hi again HIkermiken (if you are still looking) I've been looking at the progressive spring option and I realize my set up is one spring and a spacer tube which must be about six or seven inches long,not just a preload shim as you might have thought from my first post. I checked the sag as you said and it's two inches. I haven't taken any photos yet. When I do I'll have to ask how to post them on site. cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X