Am I being a bit thick!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being a bit thick!!

I have a 1981 Suzuki GS650GT (UK spec shaft drive), I have owned the bike for just under a year, the rear shocks are not leaking and the fork seals were done by the PO to get her through the MOT 2 years ago, so how do you know when to change the suspension?

Prior to this bike I had not ridden a road bike for 20years besides a couple of 125's and 'trials' type bikes.

So am I looking to replace all the suspension on it? if so I need fork springs and oil as well as a pair of rear shocks.
    I weigh about 12.5stone and never carry a pillion, I do not carry luggage (unless my packed lunch and waterproofs in a topbox count as luggage). I do like to ‘make progress’ on my bike, but she is no R1 and I am no Rossi but I also like to go out for a Sunday ride down to the coast at a leisurely pace. She is 33 years old and I like her for what she is, a smooth comfortable ride.
    I am happy to answer any questions regarding setup as I want to make sure I get it right. I am also going to replace all the brake lines as well while I have her in bits, again. As I said she is 33years old and not worth a great amount so Ohlins are out, but I also do not want to buy crap!! I was thinking YSS or Hagon.

I have read some threads re Hagon, some people love them some hate them. The same goes for YSS.

Regards.

Andrew

A lot on here use progressive springs and shocks, I have both on my 850 and very comfortable and not real expensive. Some use Sonic springs. terrylee

Comment

How does your bike ride? Some folks are content with the stock suspension, most are not. The 650G suspension was a lot better than some of them.

Hagon makes some shocks now with adjustable damping, there are other good shocks. Ikon, Progressive, Ohlins, a few others. Generally you get what you pay for. Get some proper rate springs and cartridge emulators for the forks.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

New Rear Progressive Shocks & Replaced Fork Oil

It helps if you provide pics. I replaced my aged rear shocks with Progressives and a buddy of mine (MrBill) replaced the front fork oil. One side had all the air pressure and exploded when he opened the bottom bolt and the other was full of air. He used 10W oil and I can feel a HUGE difference. He inspected the springs and they were GTG (Good To Go).

Here's an old pic of the old rear shocks and one with my new shocks and 4-1 pipe.

I spent US$275 on the rear shocks and US$317 on the pipes. Crikey! That's more than what I paid for my bike (US$475).

It depends if you have some dosh available for your upgrade.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I recommend either progressive springs or cartridge emulators up front and some new rear shocks. I did the emulators up front and they are nice, but unless I crank up the rears springs on the stock shocks to max, it's like a bucking horse with my 150 lb build, coming out of a hard turn. For what it's worth I run Avon AM 26 tires.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Sounds like your spring rates and damping are not anywhere near correct.

Which rear shocks did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Sounds like your spring rates and damping are not anywhere near correct.

Which rear shocks did you get?
              I have not replaced them yet, I think they are still the original ones, so they are 33years old and bit like me showing their age!!

I will probably go with the YSS rear shocks and not sure about the fork springs yet, probably Hagon but I am trying to find out if YSS do springs.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                It helps if you provide pics. I replaced my aged rear shocks with Progressives and a buddy of mine (MrBill) replaced the front fork oil. One side had all the air pressure and exploded when he opened the bottom bolt and the other was full of air. He used 10W oil and I can feel a HUGE difference. He inspected the springs and they were GTG (Good To Go).

Here's an old pic of the old rear shocks and one with my new shocks and 4-1 pipe.

I spent US$275 on the rear shocks and US$317 on the pipes. Crikey! That's more than what I paid for my bike (US$475).

It depends if you have some dosh available for your upgrade.

Ed
                Correction: I used 30 wt fork oil.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                  I recommend either progressive springs or cartridge emulators up front and some new rear shocks. I did the emulators up front and they are nice, but unless I crank up the rears springs on the stock shocks to max, it's like a bucking horse with my 150 lb build, coming out of a hard turn. For what it's worth I run Avon AM 26 tires.

cg
                  There's something wrong. My 650L rear shocks behave nicely- I'm 170 lbs and ride lots of dirt roads when I'm not dodging frost heeves. I can't make out the brand but I doubt they are stock from looking at many pics. My front suspension is more of a problem.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

30W Oil

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    Correction: I used 30 wt fork oil.
                    Thanks Bill!

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      There's something wrong.
                      You own an L , right? ......................................Not apples for apples.

Do you have cartridge emulators in the front forks, 2 turns out with 15 w oil?

Do you drive like I do on mountain roads?

For the record I probably should change the oil up front to 10 w and try 1 1/2 turns on the emulators, but I'm waiting to buy better rear shocks.

cg
                      Last edited by Charlie G; 04-08-2014, 04:17 PM.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

You own an L , right? ......................................Not apples for apples.

NO Ls here. Only keep an L long enough to sell some parts.

Do you have cartridge emulators in the front forks, 2 turns out with 15 w oil?
                        30wt. oil for starters, just like RaceTech recommends, thicker oil than standard for the forks because it works differently. Can't remember the number of turns, have done a few of these. It's a tuning thing, keep changing it until you get it right. Sold the bikes so I can't check.

Do you drive like I do on mountain roads?

Pretty much only mountain roads, so yes, some highways, some dirt roads, but most all in or around mountains.

For the record I probably should change the oil up front to 10 w and try 1 1/2 turns on the emulators, but I'm waiting to buy better rear shocks.

cg
                        I have put emulators on several old bikes with damper rod forks, it has been a DRASTIC improvement on each and every one. It does take a little tuning, which includes getting the correct weight fork oil to set the compression damping, then adjusting the rebound with the screws. I wouldn't do anything until the rear shocks are in place, adjusted right, and the proper rate spring is in the forks.

Look on Racetech's site for tuning instructions.

Comment

You own an L , right?
                          You going to let him talk to you like that?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Anyone can make a mistake.

Comment

These are the emulators I used. I used stock springs, cut per instructions. They really work fine. You just have to crank the stock spring to full tension. I plan on getting some Hagons or Progressive rears once I get my GS 1100 g on the road.

I give up.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                              X