Starting & Min Thickness for Brake Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting & Min Thickness for Brake Rotors

Is there a general rule for how much material a brake rotor will have before hitting it's minimum thickness? I'm looking at a set of used rotors, the min. thickness is 4.5mm and they measure 5.2mm. I guess I don't know if that means they're almost worn out, or have plenty of life left.

I haven't yet heard of anyone wearing them out in normal use. You can still destroy them with worn out pads (metal on metal) or warp and crack them with heat from sticking calipers (rebuild your brakes, folks). But I've never heard of them being worn too thin. If they get gouged, it's probably cheaper to buy a used replacement than have them turned and approach minimum thickness that way.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

My front measures 5.8 mm at 43k
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X