Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GL Rear Shock Change

Hey guys and gals,
    Its has been a while but that’s what happens when you get laid off, have a kid, move to a new state and get a new job all in the past year.
    I have a suspension question for you all. I have an 82’ GS1100GL with the ugly, leaking gas/oil shock and I’m looking to replace them during my rear end modifications. I have called around to local dealers and looked though many threads but I can't find any hard data on measurements and sizes. I believe they are 13” but want to be sure. I have heard a lot about progressive shocks, any insight there as well?
    Last thought. Can you make up lost rear wheel clearance in seat modifications with heavier shocks? I will be losing some clearance and need to get it “back” somewhere else. I see a ton of guys riding with a few inches and have no idea how they do it.
    Thanks, and ride safe!
    David

Not sure what you mean by making up lost clearance, but Progressives are a decent choice, as well as Hagon, YSS and a few others.
    There are some cheap shocks out there that are about $100, but they will make it feel like you just hard-tailed the bike.

13" length is good.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve.
      As far as making up clearance I want a flat seat with no hump in the rear and that will be cutting into my rear wheel clearance by having to remove the rear fender and such. I was thinking if I got a real stiff shock it would take out some swing in the rear arm not allowing it to hit my seat and modified fender.
      I guess I need to see how much it swings with the new shocks after I decide what to get. Are the eyelets on the shock ends all the same size or do they come with collars to modify size of the mounting bolt?

Comment

Working...
      X