1000E axle spacers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000E axle spacers...

Working on a 1980 1000E. The front wheel is off to the right a little bit. About 3mm closer to the fork on the right. This doesn't seem right.

This puts the brake discs closer to the right side of both calipers, this doesn't seem right either. I have all the spacers, the ones on both sides inside the fork caps are the same length, the parts diagrams shows the same part number for both. The suzuki shop manual shows two different ones. I don't know if the spacer on the right with the flange for the bearing the bearing is the right one.

Can someone with a 1000E tell me if the wheel sits off to the right just a little bit?

Does anyone have a 1000E front wheel off that could measure their spacers?

Thanks!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Mine doesn't but it's a 78...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Are you sure the bearings have been installed in the wheel correctly?

The fact that you mention 3mm is noteworthy. If the bearings have been installed in the wrong order it could offset your wheel by almost exactly that amount. (Correct order is Left, then Right)
      Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2014, 07:06 AM.

Comment

both spacers in the forks are the same... (#5) http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/s...95/front-wheel

only RHS next to wheel is on its own and should have a flange. But flange edges on the fork spacers go into the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by postman_pat View Post

The fact that you mention 3mm is noteworthy. If the bearings have been installed in the wrong order it could offset your wheel by almost exactly that amount. (Correct order is Left, then Right)
          I don't know, the bearings were in there when I got it. You may be onto something.

I'll try another wheel on it to see how it works.

This wheel needs new bearings anyway.
          Last edited by tkent02; 04-20-2014, 09:09 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Same bearings both sides and they both seat on substantial flanges. One fork leg isnt bent is it. Try loosing that side and spin the top tube 90 then 180 degrees to see if the lower fork moves in or out.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
              Same bearings both sides and they both seat on substantial flanges.
              NO. They do NOT both seat on flanges. The RHS bearing "floats" 3mm above its flange. Check your workshop manual. That is why it specifies that one bearing be installed before the other.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

This diagram from the workshop manual.

Quote: "CAUTION: First install the wheel bearing for the left side"
                Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

NO. They do NOT both seat on flanges. Check your workshop manual. That is why it specifies that one bearing be installed before the other.
                  I just did and my GENUINE manual doesnt mention that but if ure doing a wheel and it has flanges one or both sides of course u do the single flange 1st

Comment

Well I'm working from the genuine manual too, you know.

All the Suzuki wheels that I've ever changed bearings on have two internal flanges - on both sides. But, what I'm trying to explain is that the RHS bearing does NOT seat on the RHS flange. The internal spacer holds it approx 2-3mm above the flange. The internal flange on the RHS is simply there to locate the spacer when you reassemble the wheel.

If, by some accident you install the RHS bearing FIRST, then the LHS bearing will consequently not seat on IT'S flange because of the internal spacer.

The overall effect would then be to offset the wheel to the RIGHT.

To sum up, it is not possible for both front wheel bearings to seat on the internal flanges, due to the presence of the internal spacer. One or the other must be above a flange by 2-3mm.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Well I'm working from the genuine manual too, you know.

All the Suzuki wheels that I've ever changed bearings on have two internal flanges - on both sides. But, what I'm trying to explain is that the RHS bearing does NOT seat on the RHS flange. The internal spacer holds it approx 2-3mm above the flange.

If, by some accident you install the RHS bearing FIRST, then the LHS bearing will consequently not seat on IT'S flange because of the internal spacer.

The overall effect would then be to offset the wheel to the RIGHT.
                      I had the same issue on my GS 1000 skunk and even the local Suzuki mechanic was not aware that there was an order to fit the wheel bearings...
                      sigpicJohn Kat
                      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                        I had the same issue on my GS 1000 skunk and even the local Suzuki mechanic was not aware that there was an order to fit the wheel bearings...
                        Yes, that would not surprise me in the least. You have to read the manual VERY carefully, because it's not explicitly stated in the early Suzuki manuals. Later manuals give better diagrams which show the clearance between the bearing and the flange.

Just to make things more confusing, the order for the rear wheel is reversed - i.e., RHS first, then LHS.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

If u install a bearing with no flange to stop it, you would have a real good look at what was going on. just common sence. I get what ure saying and doing it there way is fine as long as the spacer between the bearing is right length.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                            If u install a bearing with no flange to stop it...
                            There IS a flange behind the RHS bearing to stop it, but the bearing does not seat upon it if correctly installed. That's why it's so easy to make a mistake installing the front wheel bearings unless you know the correct order.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X