Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread on front fork interchangeability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread on front fork interchangeability?

Greetings! I am new to GSR but not to GS bikes. I have a 77 GS750 that I inherited in a box (several boxes actually). Good news is that I use to ride this bike quite a bit in the 90s when it was my father's bike. I had, at that time, a GSXR750RR and thought my dad's bike was a limo. So long...

Anyway, my younger bro drove the bike and then decided to take it apart. Never touched it again. I am in the process of a complete rebuild. I am aiming for something of a café style racer. Time will tell.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a thread on the interchangeability of front forks on GS models. I want dual disks.... rather I think I need them. I am planning a bit of performance work on the bike and want to be able to stop it!

Can anyone help me either by letting me know what an easy solution to my problem is, or where I can read a thread or two on swapping forks? I would prefer a simple swap rather than attempting USD forks or anything like that.

I am building this bike as a keeper so I want to build it right.

Thanks so much,

HR

Some early 750s had dual brakes, you need both fork legs from it. Also the 650 fork sliders will work on the 750 tubes. You could just use the 650 tubes but they are a bit shorter.

I have a set of those 650 sliders if you want them. Have the brake calipers, too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of things, first I really want to continue to use the spoke wheels, so I need a swap that will allow me to basically swap forks, gain dual brakes, and allow me to keep the spokeys.

Also, I have some pitting on the upper part of the tubes... nothing near the lower area just up in the triple tree area. Was considering a metal sleeve in there... but then I may be stuck with bars and I was thinking about clip-ons.

Would you happen to have any tubes around as well? I am definitely interesting in the lowers and calipers. I am planning a switch to progressive springs regardless of what the future setup looks like. But would love to find a clean set of tubes... to go with your lowers!

Also, I am interested in improving handling as well if possible, although progressive springs should help with that I think.

Thanks for any advice!

HR
      Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X