raising rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raising rear suspension

I decided to raise my rear suspension using the original shocks and increase spring preloaad. First I had to figure out how. I tore the shocks down, and found out the shaft is standard thread....... 7/16 x 20. I double and tripple checked, it is standard.

I'm 6'3" 300 lbs, so a little more pre load will keep things from sagging as bad. I also wanted to decrease trail and rake a little. I haven't ridden the bike yet, and if it gets twitchy, no biggie, I can put it back.

Anyone know anything about how these bikes respond to a little less trail?

first step was figuring out the shaft was standard thread, 7/16 x 20.

coupling nut, grade 8.8 bolt measured and cut

loctite

PVC spacer to make up distance and increase preload

reassemble

there is slightly less spring length now (more preload) from highest setting on the unmodified shock, compared to the lowest setting on the modified shock, and I gained about 1.25" height.

total cost, about $10

Comment

Impressive Mcgiver there. 1 1/2" is probably at the max you want. 1" rise is typical but usually an expensive option to achieve.
      1.25" should be about perfect.
      Only recommendation is that increasing preload does not real increase load capacity and shoul be used for sag adjustment .

Any great job, I think a lot of people might be interested assuming thier shocks are not all warn. What shock did you use stock?

Civil rock just did a thread on putting some inexpensive aftermarket piggyback shocks on and he added shock extenstions
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Hey! Now this is really interesting,Old guy!- I'm taking notes!
        Usually it's "short people on tall bikes" ..but this'll interest them too.

Comment

Subtle, but it changed it.

Comment

Waiting on new tires and some back ordered parts.

Comment

I wonder if shocks from the larger bikes have higher dampening rates. And maybe if they are longer.

Comment

Front shocks are getting shims and 15 wt oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  Hey! Now this is really interesting,Old guy!- I'm taking notes!
                  Usually it's "short people on tall bikes" ..but this'll interest them too.
                  Ground clearance is good

I'm big(er), so there is more sprung weight coming into play. I've always shimmed the shocks on my bikes and raised the rear when I can (unless it's a chopper or low and lean). I like a bike that can do the twisty stuff.

The front is lowered about an inch, that may or may not change once I get to ride it. It might go lower depending on brake dive and handling. I'd love to drop a modern front end or at least something with dual caliper brakes on it. From a larger bike it should have a higher spring rate.

I haven't calculated trail, but there is usually plenty to spare in the factory geometry before it gets sketchy.

I'm 6'3" so a bike always needs some changing up.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Impressive Mcgiver there. 1 1/2" is probably at the max you want. 1" rise is typical but usually an expensive option to achieve.
                    1.25" should be about perfect.
                    Only recommendation is that increasing preload does not real increase load capacity and shoul be used for sag adjustment .

Any great job, I think a lot of people might be interested assuming thier shocks are not all warn. What shock did you use stock?

Civil rock just did a thread on putting some inexpensive aftermarket piggyback shocks on and he added shock extenstions
                    I used the factory shocks that came on this 650. They were in good shape, even rebound, no slipping spots.

I'm looking to do this bike on the cheap, so I'm avoiding buying anything that isn't necessary to get it rideable. The 1/2 dozen or so cans of spray paint were a must as well as carb boots, and other little things.

As it goes, including the bike, should have around $800 in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X