Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salty Monk brake upgrade question

I'll be working on getting this going, but first a question:

I bought some Honda rotors of the correct type and size. This is my first experience with riveted rotors. The rotors look good, but there is some very minor play or slop in the rivets - they're not dead tight.

Are these ok, or did I buy some worn (bad) rotors?

Some are tighter than others. One of my high mileage BMWs had very sloppy rivets, it never caused any problem, it always had had phenominal brakes. How much play do you have? Maybe you can measure it as specified in that Honda's service manual if you can find it.

I have seen some discussion on using new rivets to tighten them up, or even tightening them up with thread on some motorcycle forums.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'll try and get a more definite measurement of 'sloppy'.

Good point on the Honda manual. Didn't think of that. I'll see what I can dig up on the Interweb.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
        I'll try and get a more definite measurement of 'sloppy'.

Good point on the Honda manual. Didn't think of that. I'll see what I can dig up on the Interweb.

thanks
        I had some EBC rotors that literally clanked as the rotors flopped around on the spider at low speed. They still stopped very well.

I eventually got some Galfer Wave rotors and sold the EBC's. It was not worth the effort or expense to shim them. Other than being a little embarrassing they worked very well.

Comment

there is supposed to be a little looseness, but not sloppy, is my understanding
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Some are quite tight, some click a little, other clank until the cows come home. I don't know that there is any standard.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are semi-floating and full-floating rotors with the full float moving more.
              Do you know which Honda rotors you have? Almost all the Honda oem rotors are semi-floating.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                There are semi-floating and full-floating rotors with the full float moving more.
                Do you know which Honda rotors you have? Almost all the Honda oem rotors are semi-floating.
                No, I don't know from semi-float to full-float. First time I've dealt with riveted rotors.
                I'll dig them out this weekend and give better info and maybe a few pictures.

Thanks

Comment

Dug the rotors out today. I think they're fine, based on everyone's response.

Although I can move some, but not all, of the individual rivets just a little bit, there is no overall play between the the spider and the rotor. Other rivets are completely tight. It was the slightly loose ones that I wasn't sure about. Like I said, first time fondling this kind of rotor.

Good to go. Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

Working...
                  X