Recommended fork oil with Progressives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended fork oil with Progressives?

I'm putting in a set of Progessive front spings on my 1100GK. What's the concensus on the best weight of fork oil to use with these springs & fork? I was going to go with 10W to start. Would 15W be better with this heavy bike? I am moderately aggressive in my riding style, more so than most GK riders would be.

Are you using Cartrige Emulators? If not use 10, maybe 15 if you like to feel your bumps.

I think with the emulators they recomend starting with 30.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree with 10w.

I use it in all our bikes, it works well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Are you using Cartrige Emulators? If not use 10, maybe 15 if you like to feel your bumps.

I think with the emulators they recomend starting with 30.
        That's good info to know about the emulators. I'm planning on installing them on the 78' 1000 at some point this spring. Didn't know I needed to go to such a heavy oil.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes, since you drill out the holes in the damper rod, there is no compression damping at all unless you use thicker oil.

Read this:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thx guys! I'll stick with the 10w for now. This forum is great for quick, intelligent responses & feedback!

Comment

I just finished the seal replacement & spring swap. I went with 10W belray oil. What a difference in the front end, with the Progressive springs! It handles solid, but the ride is not stiff. The forks are nice & steady, as compared to the loose feel of the original air/springs original combo.

Comment

Working...
              X