Brake hose length with Daytona bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake hose length with Daytona bars?

I have searched for this but i haven't been able to find it. I have a 1980 GS550L. I am wanting to replace the bars with the Bikemaster Daytona bars. I haven't removed anything yet so i can't measure to find out. I am in the research phase so I can order the right parts the first time! I am needing to know how long of a front brake hose will i need with the new bars? Or would i be able to just reroute the stock brake line and run it? Will the stock master cylinder work with the new bars? Thanks guys!

Anyone, anyone???? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I am just starting to look into this as well. I'm wondering if the 1000s top brake hose will work with an 1100G with Daytona bars...

Comment

1100G or GL?

If you're going from the 1100G bars to Daytona bars, I don't think the difference in brake line length will be enough to justify buying new lines. Usually you only need shorter lines/cables when going from L bars to something else.

But that's just a guess. Suspect you'll have to measure either way.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

What bike? That info might be slightly useful..... It's going to be in the 30-32" range I suspect all the way down to the right caliper & then something like 18" over the top of the fender to the other side.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
            I am just starting to look into this as well. I'm wondering if the 1000s top brake hose will work with an 1100G with Daytona bars...
            Not sure about the Daytona bard vs my Superbike bars but I know the "S" throttle cables were about 4 1/2" shorter than the standard "E" model cable. Same could apply to the brake line I suppose.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have an '82 1100g (in my signature). It had the stock bars when I got it, and I put on Daytona bars. Now there's a ton of extra brake hose that's hard (impossible) to neatly tuck away.

I got '80 1000s clutch and throttle cables but they are a few inches too short. The 'E' cables are sounding about right (if they are 4.5 in. longer than 'S'). I imagine if the cables are good, the upper brake hose is good too.

The '82 1100G has a single line from the MC to a splitter at the lower clamp, and 2 equal length hoses to the cylinders. I intend to keep this setup and change just the top hose for now.

Comment

I ordered a 17 1/2 "(Overall length) upper line for my 1100g while using Superbike bars. I haven't installed it yet, but with any luck may have them on this afternoon. I think Superbike and Daytona are similar bends. You may want to check. I'll report back, if you like, once I get them on.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yes, please, that would be great. What did you do for cables?

Comment

I use 1000S clutch cable with standard throttle cable. I have a Daytona bar & a 3/4" riser block underneath it. There is plenty of room to hide extra brake line length behind the light bucket. One setup I had I even did a full loop around the back of the bucket (after bleeding it of course).
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The 17 1/2" line fit fine with my Superbike bars. I can't remember what I used for certain for the throttle or clutch, but I would guess I used units off the 1100e of the same year.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks!
                        I could see getting the 1000s clutch cable to work - it was close on my bike but looked like it could work. The throttle cable was too short though. I opted not to use the clutch cable as I might want slightly taller bars. A small riser or barback might be the right approach - it's hard to find bars like the Daytonas that are only 1-2" taller.

I did manage to tuck everything away with the stock cables and hose, but I guess the OCD prefers a bit of a cleaner setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X