Nice present in the mail today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice present in the mail today

I got my new JBS shocks from Australia today. Quality looks pretty good. They go on my 1980 GS1100 tomorrow & hopefully tested out this weekend on "The Ride For Dad" a Canada wide charity ride to raise money for prostate cancer research.

80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Purdy. What are the spring rates and how much did they cost including the shipping? Were there options on spring rates? C-T-C length? What color is your scooter?
    Got them installed yet? What is the delay!!!

Comment

Whoa, slow down, lol.

They cost $190.00 Canadian shipped to my door. Not bad. Not sure of the spring rate but they were for my specific bike so I hope they're in the ball park. Eye to clevis is 335 mm.

No manual included even though the advertising says it's uncluded.
      Last edited by nastyjones; 05-21-2014, 09:02 PM.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Yeah - they do look like the cheapies.

And they look very similar to the RFY MKII versions which don't actually have a passage to connect to the reservoirs.

Having traveled the web over trying to find information on RFY shocks I have encountered several models of the damper unit. They appear to come in a wide variety, though I have yet to encounter many of those in the … Read More
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Very supportive, guys.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean they are cheap. Ohlins and such are off the charts and quite frankly probably way over rated. I like them, nice buy!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              Just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean they are cheap. Ohlins and such are off the charts and quite frankly probably way over rated. I like them, nice buy!
              I was kind of waiting for someone who knew what they were talking about to wade in. Thanks.... Something to be considered.....
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

The company is Australian although I suspect the shocks are Chinese. I will say this however. The Chinese are getting much better at producing quality items at a fraction of the price. I will install these this weekend & report back.

Comment

Very nice indeed,Going to need a set of shocks for the GPz,do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    Something to this, I have some Ohlins on my 1000 and a while back a mate borrowed them to try on his Yamaha and put the stock 1000 shocks (with the rebound adjusters) on while they were away, I have really not noticed a big if any difference. Though one time I hit a sunken road cover banked full over at flat chat everything bottomed out hard and I think it was the quality of the shock that kept me on as the back took off and landed 2' off line, the bike wobbled but straightened up ok.
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I haven't seen cheap shocks yet that rode nice, controlled the bike well and stayed that way after an hour or so hauling ass on a rough road. Expensive ones do it just fine.

If these do it I'm in. Somehow I doubt it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Chris Livengood, here. I noticed my site was linked to in this post. I don't normally "chase" threads but lately my site has seen quite a bit of travel from you GS guys so I guess it seemed appropriate. The shocks pictured appear to be the shocks I've designated the "Model 1". The clevis appears slightly different, both in the machining and hole size that is common on RFY shocks.

Maybe OP can measure the wire thickness on the spring. Knowing that we can better understand the spring rate. Lot's of people I speak with accidentally chose the wrong spring rate. It's easy to choose unwisely when the only real information is based on the wire thickness of the spring. To help with this I've graphed many of the springs that are common with these Chinese shock as well as springs associated with other brands and models. I've provided spring rate graph below that illustrates this.

Most people report that these shocks out perform stock shocks, but only after a proper rebuild. Perhaps the Aussies do this, I don't know. I do know that when I get them direct from China they are assembled in a manner that prevents them from having any damping characteristics whatsoever. However, after a proper rebuild they work rather well, especially for the price point.

Anyways, sorry to high jack the thread. If there are questions or comments it would probably be best to start a new thread or just contact me via my website. I'll try to keep an eye out around here for more threads, but seeing as I don't own a GS it might be tough to keep up with you guys.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

Very nice indeed,Going to need a set of shocks for the GPz,do you have a link?
                          Here you go........

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge
                            Silverbullet, what are you and Hillsy using on your GS machines?
                            Pictures please.

Comment

Working...
                            X