cheap donor bike for upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap donor bike for upgrades?

I know these bikes were not exactly sporting when new, but i know they spec raced the snot out of them.

I would look at pulling the entire front end, wheel, brakes, triple tree and all off and probably the entire rear swing arm, wheel and brake arm. I think a 130 or 140 section rear tire under a 550es would be perfect.

Forgot to ask, how much bolt on interchangeability is there between these bikes or even later Katanas? One of those rolled through recently as a husk with good suspension and brakes for $200.

Lots of interchangability there, but his price is too high

But, GS500 guys update to Katana, who update to GSXR

I'd go Katana grade, lots of those husks still out there
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If it's any interest, the GS500 forks / wheel / fender fit perfectly into a GS850 triple tree (same diameter and spacing). The pre 2004 front caliper is only a single piston. The front rotor was used on a couple different bikes (Katana, Bandit, etc) but there is only one. The GS500 front wheel is drilled and tapped for another rotor though since the wheel itself is identical to Katana wheels of the same era.

Comment

So in theory, the front end of this bike is nearly a bolt on minus the one sided front brake?

Part of doing this is better rolling stock availability.

Comment

I don't know anything about a 550ES, so I couldn't say it was a straight bolt on front end..... but I'd be surprised if there was any problems that would make it impossible.

Comment

Hmmmmm. I wonder how hard the wife would junk punch me.

Comment

Working...
            X