Front brake lever travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake lever travel

Today I added new fluid to my recently installed front brakes. I completely tore down both the master cylinder and calipers, cleaned them up and reassembled. I installed a new stainless steel brake line, new banjo bolts and new crush washers. I used DOT4 brake fluid. I also installed speed bleeders.

So I filled up the reservoir and started pumping. The fluid was drawn in pretty quickly so I topped up and kept pumping until I could see no air bubbles coming out the hose on the bleeder. I then tightened the speed bleeder, topped up the reservoir and closed it tight.

The brakes work - they stop the wheel and they release just fine. I'm concerned about the amount of travel in the lever before the brakes grab. When I squeeze the lever hard there's about 1 - 1.25" of space between the lever and the throttle and the brakes hold tight. It doesn't feel spongy. But the brakes don't initially grab until I move the lever about an inch, which seems too much in my opinion. Is there a remedy for this? I wrapped the lever to the throttle and left it for awhile. No pressure loss, no movement.

Could there be air in the master cylinder? Did I not bleed them through enough? Any thoughts?

Thanks
    K

Knowing that many of us have changed out the older Suzuki MC and brake system for the twinpot design, it might help to tell us if this is a stock system.

I know that with my Kawasaki MC on a dual Kawasaki brake caliper (same type MC and brakes used on two different bikes from two different years) my brake handle is deceiving on how well it feels like it will stop the bike. However, I haven't had a problem with it yet and I've done some pretty quick stops.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just checked a bunch of bikes, new ones, old ones, even drum brakes with cables. They are all at slightly under an inch of lever travel when you first start to feel any resistance.
      2/3 - 7/8 inch is my guess.

Maybe you have a little air in there yet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes, a stock system. The only change is new brake lines, fittings and speed bleeders. Stock otherwise.

Comment

Working...
        X