• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
    Northern VA, 30 miles west of DC.
    That's brutal! Her idea?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Its in a wood floor shed from Nov - May. On the Center stand. Tire deflated. It was below freezing for 3 straight months with lows down to -30F.

Remember....My front was bought 3 years ago with the first defective rear. Not a crack in it .
      Well that's certainy cold. I'd crack too if I were a tire. Very strange the front hasn't.

Ever talk to the DOT? I remember there was some discussion of it.

Comment

I had a rear avon road-rider crack at least as bad as the photos above.

I bought the set three years ago and the front is still fine. the rear cracked really badly over the first winter, (in a heated garage, bike on centre stand) only on the left hand side of the tire. I think the tire was seriously defective, and the cracking could not have been prevented by anything i could have done.

I returned the tire and was given a full refund (credit actually) on the one year old tire, after the supplier returned it to Avon for evaluation. Avon would not say what the issue was other than to acknowledge the tire was defective by crediting my account.

replaced it, last minute with a cheng shin, HI Max(?), best 60 dollar tire ever.

thanks for posting, I thought the issue was fixed, I will continue to stay clear of the road-riders.
        Last edited by derwood; 05-27-2014, 12:54 AM.
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          That's brutal! Her idea?
          Not really, we both had had enough of living in the crazy, busy, very expensive region with the worst traffic in the nation. We wanted to move north, maybe Canada, she's from Manitoba. She went to school here and has many friends and pseudo family here too. We figured that was a better option than moving to a new location with zero connections. So, that was that and here we are! Actually, I'm quite enjoying it.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Its in a wood floor shed from Nov - May. On the Center stand. Tire deflated. It was below freezing for 3 straight months with lows down to -30F.

Remember....My front was bought 3 years ago with the first defective rear. Not a crack in it .
            Now this has got me re-thinking what to put on my bike!! I have the same year, 82 1100E that you have! My question to you is.....what is the benefit to deflating the tire over the winter?
            sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
            82 1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by GDT1960 View Post
              My question to you is.....what is the benefit to deflating the tire over the winter?
              Crap shoot. I didnt on the first two Road Riders and did on the third. Made no difference. All three cracked.

Got some feed back from Avon. My contact there has been Sukoshi Fahey

Sukoshi,

The tire you were so kind to ship me last season came out of winter storage today with more cracks than the previous two.

Not sure what is causing this but you might want to mention it to someone in engineering. This is the 3rd Road Rider on my bike that looked good going into storage and came out severely cracked. It was very cold in MN this winter with lows down to -25F.

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,
              I am going to have Mark Wagoner in our office contact you regarding this tire as I am on the road this week. The UK has modified the sidewall compound in 2013 in this size to make it more flexible so this issue should be resolved now. Took a while to figure out a fix. So sorry about this. Mark will also send you a labor reimbursement form and as a gesture of goodwill I would like to send you an Avon jacket if you let me know size.

Best regards,
              Sukoshi
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I had three Battlax tires do the same cold weather cracking.
                A year PITA what with not having a heated garage and what not.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're having such difficulties Dave, I remember reading about your cracking problem before.
                  I use Road riders and have had zero problems, nowhere near as cold in UK.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                    nowhere near as cold in UK.
                    Speaking of the UK.....Did you catch that info she sent me....

The UK has modified the sidewall compound in 2013 in this size to make it more flexible so this issue should be resolved now. Took a while to figure out a fix.

Maybe they have it figured out.
                    Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-27-2014, 10:17 PM.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Mine on my brick in Scotland cracked, but it sat unused for three years.

Comment

Speaking of the UK.....Did you catch that info she sent me....

The UK has modified the sidewall compound in 2013 in this size to make it more flexible so this issue should be resolved now. Took a while to figure out a fix.

Maybe they have it figured out.
                        Yes I saw, I also assumed that possibly the tyres you had were produced in the US or nearer to you, is that true, or do all these tyres come from the same place?
                        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I have a set on both my 1000 and 1100 and those tires are getting old now, 3 years or so on the bike, not manufacture date.
                          I have absolutely no cracking what so ever.

So, what causes it?
                          I do maintain my tire pressures as per the motorcycle manufactures recommendations, and not by some other measure because the technology is more advanced. i.e. the 10% rule.

At the recommended pressures, as per the bike manufacture, I get the best
                          handling from them, especially on the 1100, which tends to walk all over the road should you even start to go over the recommended pressure for the front tire anyway.
                          I thought it was a "handling" problem for the longest time, until I dropped the pressure, now I can relax more on the bike instead instead of having it wander all over the place, add a little wind and you better be paying attention.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi Dave sorry to see that you r having problems.

But I am a bit comfused here:

If I read the mould date correctly isn't that 2000 - 11th week? 14 year old tire?
                            Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                            1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                              Hi Dave sorry to see that you r having problems.

If I read the mould date correctly isn't that 2000 - 11th week? 14 year old tire?
                              Pretty funny
                              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                                Pretty funny
                                Its not nice to laugh

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                                Actually Mr H_G thats the 20th week of 2011
                                82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                                X