Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end squeal

Hello

Started noticing a small squeal coming from my front tire area. I am not sure if it is coming from the brakes, but I don't think so. I only hear the sound in slow speed maneuvers and it isn't constant. Its not real loud and last for a half second or so. Doesn't seem to make the sound with the brakes on, but not positive. It does make the sound without using the brakes. I don't know if the sound happens at speed since I probably couldn't hear it anyway, I tried listening.

What should I check or do to find the problem?

Thank you!

Could be....brake pads not pulling away from the rotor because your pistons are not working properly, or your pads are at their wear level. Could be your wheel bearings are going. Could be your speedo gear needs a rebuild as it's not spinning freely.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Get the front wheel in the air and spin it by hand should help you isolate where the sound is coming from.
      azr, gave 3 good spots to check.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, will give your suggestions a try after work.

Comment

It turned out to be the rear wheel and the brakes. My helmet made the sound seem to come from the front. Replaced the brake pads after confirming it was the rear brakes and all is well... now the front brakes are starting to squeal. Time to change those pads also. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X