Replacement brake piston question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement brake piston question...

I'm currently working on my first rebuild (1979 GS1000L) and need to replace the pistons on both front and rear brake calipers. I'm only seeing an OEM replacement for the rear piston (listed in part #69100-45830, piston & pad set). I still need to pull the front pistons completely out, but they look as pitted as the rear pistons from what I can already see. Are the front and rear pistons the same size? In other words, can I just order and extra piston & pad set for the rear caliper (which should include two pistons) and use the pistons on the front calipers?

Okay, I just noticed that the lip on the front brake piston is larger than the rear piston...curses! So, are there any replacement front brake pistons available?

Comment

Lots of the parts fische don't list the replacement set of pistons, seals & dust caps, but they are referred to as a piston & cup set...

Call your OEM source & see if they list that set. Two for the front, one for the back. Somewhere around $35-$40 each.

Each set gives you new caliper pistons, new seal, new pin rubbers and maybe the metal clips (don't remember).
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Thank you for the info! I shall give them a call.

Comment

Working...
        X