No announcement yet.

New Front Tire - 40 MPH vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thnk you will end up needing a new tire, that one has to be defective.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just got back from the shop.
      They test rode it and noticed it too.
      Brent the shop manager has a GS1000
      They remounted and re-balanced, they also told me there was an irregular rubber bump near the bead close to the "0" mark. They aligned the mark with the valve stem and this time the tire only required 1/2 the amount of wheel weights.
      The vibration has reduced a good 70% and has moved closer to 32 MPH, but much less 'pesky'/prominent.

No charge, so I bought them lunch and gotta give Cycle Specialties Cincinnati a +1 for service. Nice when a dealership treats you right.

My email to the Motorcycle Superstore asking about defective tire returns was answered stating that I could return an unused and unmounted tire, however once mounted I'm 'SOL'. So that's the last tire purchase I'll make from them.

All in all nearly everything youse guys said was accurate and I'll just live with this tire this season and try something else next.

Might give the ride-on or dyna beads a test in the next few weeks.
      I'll post back if anything is noteworthy.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
        Just got back from the shop.
        They test rode it and noticed it too.
        Brent the shop manager has a GS1000
        They remounted and re-balanced, they also told me there was an irregular rubber bump near the bead close to the "0" mark. They aligned the mark with the valve stem and this time the tire only required 1/2 the amount of wheel weights.
        The vibration has reduced a good 70% and has moved closer to 32 MPH, but much less 'pesky'/prominent.

No charge, so I bought them lunch and gotta give Cycle Specialties Cincinnati a +1 for service. Nice when a dealership treats you right.

My email to the Motorcycle Superstore asking about defective tire returns was answered stating that I could return an unused and unmounted tire, however once mounted I'm 'SOL'. So that's the last tire purchase I'll make from them.

All in all nearly everything youse guys said was accurate and I'll just live with this tire this season and try something else next.

Might give the ride-on or dyna beads a test in the next few weeks.
        I'll post back if anything is noteworthy.

Thanks for the input.
        Because it is a likely manufacturing defect, the circle indicator is probably not exact either in as much as it predicts the position with the smallest imbalance.

So you could go through a process of optimized positioning where you move the tire on the rim until the lowest wompum is felt and reduce the weights further.

Probably based on the concept of path of least resistance or the principle that a body seeks a point of lowest energy state. The dynabeads cause the wheel/tire to spin with close to zero kinetic energy and spin with only rotational momentum. (this is my presumption from what I know from practical experience)

In the end you will find that the dyna beads will be very effective at reducing what ever residual you do have. Even a 1/4 Oz help reduce something similar on my 16" 60 series van tires.
        Last edited by posplayr; 06-03-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

something wrong, alright...I think (from experience!) low speed vibe is an indication the tire might nor be seated correctly -it's hard to tell if the tell-tale rim-line is ok fromthe little I can see... or else somebody left a tool in there

ps would you put dyna-beads in an innertube?

Comment

Working...
          X