Brake Rebuild Kit Pricing/Contents what a rip off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Rebuild Kit Pricing/Contents what a rip off

I have bought a number of K&L brake caliper rebuild kits. You can easily pay 30 bucks for one.

Usually, all that is wrong with my calipers is crud, abd cryastalized fluid behind the o ring. The ones I am messing with now, really don't need anything at all, except cleaning. Even the seals are reusable once cleaned. I have an old set with bad looking pistons.

Just looking at Bike Bandit (not the cheapest), I can but a "piston kit" for $21.70. This includes a new OEM piston and both seals. It does not include the two exterior boots (mine are good).

I had no idea that the rebuild kits are such a rip off, as far as content per dollar.

In the future, I will be looking a lot more closely at the OEM Fische and selecting what I need. The last rears I worked on would have been good with nothing but the seal between the calipers halvs, really.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Happy I found your post today as I've got my brakes in pieces in front of me. I plan on taking them down to a mechanic friend to blow the pistons out with compressed air once I get the rest stripped and opened. Rear brakes were giving me nothing and I fear I may need new pistons. I'll be sure to scrutinize everything. I wonder how to pop those pistons out on the rears though. Any tricks?

Comment

Compressed air is the cleanest way. I've used a grease gun attached to the bleed nipple before. It works fine, and there's less risk of a stray piston flying round the shop, but it involved a lot of clean-up work afterward.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Drape a old shirt or something over the piston to keep the fluid from covering everything when they pop with the air.

Comment

Don't get your finger between the piston and the other side of the caliper.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Don't get your finger between the piston and the other side of the caliper.
            Quoted for truth. That sh!t hurts.

Comment

I only use OEM brake parts except for steel lines.

Change the brake fluid every two years and there should be no issues.

Maintenance makes the bike go longer!
              Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
              1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
              1977 GS400
              1974 Montesa 250
              1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Working...
              X