Front tire size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front tire size question

Bike: 80 1100L. Current front tire is a 90/90-19.

Looking for a wider tire. Can I go to a 100 or 110?

Yes, I'll check clearances, etc. Just wondering if there's any reason anyone knows of not to go wider.

100/90-19 will work fine. Any wider & the handling gets compromised.

The 110 width will barely fit & it's not recommended. I'm running one on my '81 1100E & won't do it again...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
      100/90-19 will work fine. Any wider & the handling gets compromised.

The 110 width will barely fit & it's not recommended. I'm running one on my '81 1100E & won't do it again...
      Thanks - exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Comment

Have a 110/90 on my '80 850G. If you plan on stopping by this weekend you can judge for yourself. If I were you I'd go with the 100/90.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Any particular reason you are looking for a bigger tire?

The 90/90 is pretty much the stock size, but many of us are using the 100/90 with good results.

One benefit of the larger size is that it virtually removes the speedo error that was so common in these bikes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

One benefit of the larger size is that it virtually removes the speedo error that was so common in these bikes.

So, a 100/90 will stop my speedo needle from bouncing around?

Actually I have used the front 90/90 and 100/90 on my bike over the years. Both feel fine. I actually squeezed in a 510/18 rear once on my bike, Talk about screwing up your handling. Went back to stock size and all was good again lol.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Any particular reason you are looking for a bigger tire?

The 90/90 is pretty much the stock size, but many of us are using the 100/90 with good results.

Steve,

My thought is that a little more rubber on the road might improve handling and rough ride. The roads around me are HORRIBLE after this long winter. The extra width should help with that (I'm hoping...)

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
                Steve,

My thought is that a little more rubber on the road might improve handling and rough ride. The roads around me are HORRIBLE after this long winter. The extra width should help with that (I'm hoping...)
                If you go too wide for a rim, you can actually decrease the size of the contact patch, because the tire is being pinched too much by the rim.

I run 100/90-19 tires on all my 19" front wheels (which is everything in my sig other than the 450E and 700ES). They work fine.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  If you go too wide for a rim, you can actually decrease the size of the contact patch, because the tire is being pinched too much by the rim.

I run 100/90-19 tires on all my 19" front wheels (which is everything in my sig other than the 450E and 700ES). They work fine.
                  Yep - 100/90-19 is what I'm thinking. 90/90 on there now.

Comment

I don't think a different tire will help with the ride much if at all... my opinion is that if I have to deviate from the stock sizes (which you usually do with these old bikes), then I always try to increase the front and rear by the same amount to keep handling within stock limits.

I hear you on the road conditions around here... smooth paved roads are pretty much non-existant for a number of reasons I could whine endlessly about. I took the 750 on an impromptu ride over to Grosse Isle over the weekend and was almost happy to be home just to be done with all the bumps, potholes, and cagers. It's got to have the stock springs and I have no idea what fork oil is in it... I should probably check into that some time soon.

What's your front suspension setup? Have you been in there for maintenance? I've read that aftermarket progressive springs are a good and relatively inexpensive upgrade. Not sure if the more elaborate options like cartridges, etc even work with our bikes...
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                      I don't think a different tire will help with the ride much if at all... my opinion is that if I have to deviate from the stock sizes (which you usually do with these old bikes), then I always try to increase the front and rear by the same amount to keep handling within stock limits.

I hear you on the road conditions around here... smooth paved roads are pretty much non-existant for a number of reasons I could whine endlessly about. I took the 750 on an impromptu ride over to Grosse Isle over the weekend and was almost happy to be home just to be done with all the bumps, potholes, and cagers. It's got to have the stock springs and I have no idea what fork oil is in it... I should probably check into that some time soon.

What's your front suspension setup? Have you been in there for maintenance? I've read that aftermarket progressive springs are a good and relatively inexpensive upgrade. Not sure if the more elaborate options like cartridges, etc even work with our bikes...
                      Charles,

As far as I know, I'm pretty stock up front. Gaskets look perfect. I would think, based on everything else with the bike, that the PO changed the fork oil, but I don't know that. I believe my forks are supposed to have 7 PSI or so of air in them too, but I had a hard time getting only that much air to go in.

Let me know if you track down a good progressive option - I'd definitely do it.

Interesting: I took my 550 out tonight and it seemed to ride a lot better than the 1100. It does have fresh rubber, which I think makes a difference, but suspension seemed really nice after a 100 mile work day on the 1100...

Comment

I'm running 100/90 in the front and 130/90 in the rear. Bike runs great and handles awesome.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          So, a 100/90 will stop my speedo needle from bouncing around?
                          Nope. Won't do anything for the bounce, but it will bring the average reading down to a realistic number.

Most of the magazines "back in the day" commented on the innaccuracy of most of the speedometers, Suzuki included. I believe it was common for it to show about 64 or 65 mph at an actual 60. Comparing any of the GSes shown in my sig to a GPS, they all read only 1 or 2 mph faster than the GPS, due to a 100/90 front tire.

My Wing, on the other hand, is the other way around. At an indicated 60, the GPS says 61.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X