Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sized dust seal (O ring) on the brake lever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sized dust seal (O ring) on the brake lever?

I have an 81 400 L, and I just picked up a new set of rear brake shoes. I watched a quick YouTube video on how to install the shoes, and it all looks pretty simple.

However, the pin (link? Bolt? Doo-hickey?) that goes through the cover for the brake drum that attached to the brake lever has a washer and a dust seal on it, and I assume I will need to replace that dust seal with a new O ring.

What size is O ring will I need? And can I find a generic O ring from Home Depot that will fit properly?

I'd like to have all the parts I need all ready to go so I can get the job done all in one shot instead if having to stop and run to the hardware store to match up the size I need for the new seal.

Any help is appreciated!

If I'm looking at the right fiche (there's no such thing as an '81 400L, so I'm looking at the '81 GS450L) the o-ring part number is:

09280-15001

We can tell from this that the ID (Inside Diameter) of the o-ring is 15mm. No idea what the OD or thickness is, but you can probably match it up (you sort of have to guess at thickness because it's already been squashed) if you can find an assortment of metric o-rings.

You won't find metric o-rings in any big box store or home center. You might find them at a particularly well-stocked hardware store and some auto parts stores.

There are also metric o-ring assortments available at Harbor Freight that might contain a workable o-ring.

You might be able to match it up "close enough" to one of the inch-size (numbered) o-rings you'll find down at the hardware store. Without seeing and measuring the part, I can't say whether this would work -- just a guess, but a #113 o-ring is probably the closest.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-04-2014, 04:18 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If you can figure out the size, try these guys - they ship fast and their website is easy to follow. $5 shipping might seem high, but someone has to go down racks and put o-rings in baggie!

Order O-Rings online Millions of AS568 O-Rings, Metric O-Rings and Hydraulic Seals Online. Live chat for O-Ring Sales and service. Our basic stock compound list includes over 30 o-ring compounds making us one of the most diverse O-Ring Suppplier in the Global O-Ring market.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Turns out I didn't need a new O ring. Took the drum apart yesterday, and the existing dust seal looked brand new. No rust, corrosion, deterioration, cracking, pitting, etc.

Looks like PO had taken care if the bike pretty well.

Comment

Working...
        X