Avon Road Riders Tyre Pressures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon Road Riders Tyre Pressures

All, have a set of Avon Road Riders in which Avon recommend the pressure as below although the Suzuki handbook states 25/28psi, has anybody had any experience with these

Cheers

GS 1000 G D E (1977 - 1980)

Front Tyre

Roadrider

Pressure front:
    2.3 bar (33psi)

Front size:
    100/90-19 57V

Rear Tyre

Roadrider

Pressure rear:
    2.8 bar (40psi)

Rear size:
    130/90-17 68V

"A technique for those wanting to get the most out of their tires on the street is to use the 10/20% rule.

First check the tire pressure when the tire is cold. Then take a ride on your favorite twisty piece of road. Then, measure the tire pressure immediately after stopping. If the pressure has risen less than 10% on the
    front or 20% on the rear, the rider should remove air from the tire. So for example, starting at a front tire pressure of 32.5 psi should bring you up to 36 psi hot. Once you obtain this pressure increase for a given rider, bike, tire, road and road temperature combination, check the tire pressure again while cold and record it for future reference.

Each manufacturer is different. Each tire model is different. A tire design that runs cooler needs to run a lower pressure (2-3 psi front) to get up to optimum temperature. The rear tire runs hotter than the front tire, road and track. So the rear tire cold-to-hot increase is greater. Dropping air pressure has the additional side effect of scrubbing more rubber area."
    Last edited by bccap; 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

I took a test ride on an old R100 last summer. The seller assured me the tyres were at correct pressure. The thing fought me on every steering input as if there were two people steering it. I brought it back sharpish and added 8 - 10 psi. 1980s handbooks will generally be too low for modern tyres.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

bccap / Brendan, thanks for your comments, will try playing with the pressures.

Comment

I'm running 32/38 on the 850. Continental TKV 11/12. If I had a manual it would probably suggest 24/32.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I just use the bike manufactures recommended pressures.
            I had problems with my '82 GS1100E, that bike had a tendency to "walk" all over the road. This got tricky at higher speeds with crosswinds, hard to maintain the lane.
            The problem I found out was I had about 5 more pounds in the front tire over the bike's recommended pressure. I lowered it and the "walk" went away.

So, anyway, that's what I do.

Also, I have no cracks on my Avon's, on two different bikes, and they are far from new. I think a lower pressure might have something to do with that.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post

Also, I have no cracks on my Avon's, on two different bikes, and they are far from new. I think a lower pressure might have something to do with that.
              Mine were stored at 0 psi. Cant get much lower than that .
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X