Front Axle Hub "sleeve"... necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Axle Hub "sleeve"... necessary?

Ok so most probable stupid question here...

I've just pulled the bearings of a gsx600f 91 front wheel, and am assessing options of fitting this rim up to a 98 USD gsxr set of forks. The biggest difference being axle size.

I just want to understand the necessity of the sleeve between the two bearings which the axle fits in. How important is this part? What is its purpose? is its main roll to act as a spacer between the two bearing faces?

I've found the correct bearing set I need to fit the larger hollow 98 gsxr axle in, and im curious as to how necessary the inner sleeve is?

Then ill assess if its worth my while making spacers etc or whether to just source the correct rim for the forkset.

It's very necessary - tighten the axle up without it and you'll ruin the bearings. Make a new one the correct bore size for the axle you want to use.

Comment

well... that was easy!

Thanks GregT

Comment

The inner races being force towards each other without the spacer might actually feel ok (never tried it, but I've come across evidence of some who have) but stand a high chance of collapsing in use, dumping you off in front of a bus, or something equally grisly in fate terms.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm replacing bearings for the first time. I assume you put in one bearing, then the axle spacer and then the other bearing but what keeps the axle spacer lined up? On the wheel I just received, the axle spacer doesn't fit tight in any space and without the axle in place it could just fall around inside the hub. I could see maybe holding it in place with one end of the axle until you get the 2nd bearing driven in but what would happen the next time you removed the wheel and pulled the axle out? Am I missing something?
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Most of them have shrouds on them to centre them in the hub:

If yours doesn't have these, then you can use a screwdriver to centre the spacer after you have installed the bearings.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks Hillsy, the spacer I got has 1 shroud but it doesn't fit tight in the opening. The screwdriver idea sounds good. I guess I was jus afraid it could flop to the side enough so that it would be hard to retrieve. I'm gonna add a big-ass comfy intruder to my stable some day. Maybe a 2013 or later blvd c90t
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
              X