Unsticking caliper with a 2x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsticking caliper with a 2x4

My front disc brake was stuck after sitting for the winter. I bled and replenished the brake fluid but it was still stuck. After watching this video, I tried the 'hitting it with wood' trick. When I do this, my wheel frees up nicely, but if I reapply the brake it sticks again until I readminister the wood. What is going on here?
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Clean/rebuild your caliper.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And the rest of the brake system.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

To answer your question; your caliper is sticking. Most likely from corrosion/rust between the piston and caliper (slave cylinder).

1. take the caliper off the rotor.
        2. pump the brake lever until the piston comes out of the caliper.

From there you'll understand the problem. You'll need more brake fluid and some emery cloth to polish the piston/caliper. When you order the new seal and boot to reassemble, go ahead and order the rubber parts for the master cylinder too.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and collects water from the air. That's why you're supposed to change the brake fluid every 2 years. It's usually not the brake fluid that fails, it's all the water in the fluid that rusts and corrodes your brakes from the inside. In a 30 year old GS, chances are it's been 19 years since it was last changed, if ever.

-Kevin
        Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2014, 02:40 PM. Reason: hygro not hydro - I always mess that up.

Comment

Okay thanks, good answer. I'm also just wandering what smacking the caliper is doing that frees it up momentarily.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

use a plastic hammer unless you enjoy handling wood
            the shock from what ever you use shakes the piston back in the bore enough to remove the pressure on the rotor.
            simple eh?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post
              1. take the caliper off the rotor.
              2. pump the brake until the piston comes out of the caliper.

From there you'll understand the problem. You'll need more brake fluid and some emery cloth to polish the piston/caliper. When you order the new seal and boot to reassemble, go ahead and order the rubber parts for the master cylinder too.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and collects water from the air. That's why you're supposed to change the brake fluid every 2 years. It's usually not the brake fluid that fails, it's all the water in the fluid that rusts and corrodes your brakes from the inside. In a 30 year old GS, chances are it's been 19 years since it was last changed, if ever.

-Kevin
              All very true, but consider a new master cylinder, they are cheaper than the parts to rebuild your old one. Just bought one for $20 and it even came with a rebuild kit.

Comment

Well, there's just a teensey tiny bit of pull back from your master cylinder trying to spread the pads off the rotor. The corrosion is preventing that. When you smack it, you overcome the corrosion's grip and the pads part from the rotor. Not sure how to explain it if that doesn't make sense.

Have you ever had a tank slapper? That's when the front wheel violently oscillates like a shopping cart caster wheel. The force on the caliper is so great it can push your brake pistons back into the calipers giving you a ghost brake when you most need it. Not really like hitting it with a 2x4, but it just came to mind. If you do ever get a tank slapper, test the brakes on the straights before you get to a corner. You might need to pump it a couple times.

There's another possibility that the little relief hole in the master cylinder (MC) is blocked, plugged, or corroded and is not letting the brake fluid back into the MC. But since you freed it with a "whack" to the caliper, it's probably not the problem.

I encourage you to take it apart and see how it all works. It's a pretty simple device, and pretty hard to get wrong. I like to see exactly what I'm doing before I order the parts if it's my first time, or you can be bold and order all the parts you think you'll need and have them at hand when you dive in. While you have it apart, blow on one end of the brake line and make sure it's not collapsed on the inside. Crappy old DOT3 can eat the insides of rubber lines and you'll never know from looking at it.

Comment

is this where i insert.....while your rebuilding your system to go a head and flush with rubbing alcohol and change over to silicone dot 5 fluid.
                  dot3/4 draws moisture and causes all these problems.
                  dot 5 does not and you will never have a stuck caliper or damaged paint again

Comment

Yes. I didn't know that about DOT 5.

I thought it was just higher boiling temp or something.

I've lost a lot of rattle can paint from spilling DOT4.

-Kevin

Comment

Dot 5 doesn't eat paint?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Dot 5 doesn't eat paint?
                        no way jose...
                        corvette's and big HD'd come with dot 5.

Comment

No, it doesn't eat paint. Nor does it absorb water, but that doesn't mean there are no problems with water.

Any water that does find its way into the system will tend to puddle at the lowest point. In this case, it's the calipers. Which also happen to get warm on heavy braking. It's possible that they might get hot enough to boil the water, leading to instant MUSH for brakes.
                          sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                            Okay thanks, good answer. I'm also just wandering what smacking the caliper is doing that frees it up momentarily.
                            You've likely got the standard Tokico crappy caliper on the LH side. They're fine, they do the job, but they wear in one or two/three spots that cause them to stick.
                            First, as has been mentioned, they get sticky pistons, but that's not really all that common on a bike that's in regular use.
                            Of more common occurence is the propensity of many owners to lose or toss away the little steel sliders the pad ears sit on. Without those sliders, the pad ears wear a groove in the alloy body of the caliper bracket - and they stick.
                            Of even more common occurence is the tendency of many owners to not bother re-greasing (or wrong grease) the sliding pins every year (essential maintenance) and the pins get worn, but not as much as the holes get worn in the soft alloy caliper bracket - and they stick, because the whole shooting match is actually twisting when you brake.
                            So, it's a crappy design and with a lot of miles on it's even more crappy.
                            Having said that - if you rebuild them (and assuming you can find very low mileage brackets), they can be good brakes - just keep an eye on them and maintain them, unlike the last owner.
                            I'm going through a brakefest with mine - I've decided to stick with the OEM brakes and keep them good, but if the supply of good used bits dries up, will look at better, later calipers from something else.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Dot 5 doesn't eat paint?
                              Nope, it's silicone based. However, it is ABSOLUTELY incompatible with types 3 and 4. It'll turn the brake fluid into peanut butter if you mix them.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X