Rear brake torque link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake torque link

I removed the forward bolt on the brake torque link and now I can't get it to line back up to replace the bolt. I've tried sitting on the bike to lower the suspension, but, it doesn't move the link far enough forward to get the holes lined up. Do I simply need more weight to draw the bar forward ?

Am I missing something here or is there a trick to do this ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Loosen the big axle nut, grab the caliper and rotate it forward on the axle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Okay, I'll try that tonight.
      Thanks.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Loosen the big axle nut, grab the caliper and rotate it forward on the axle.
        Or just tap it with mallet!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Even better.

Comment

This brings up a ?. You tighten the axle bolt to 80 ft-lbs. But this torque restricts the caliper yoke from swiveling as swingarm moves up and down- over time your 80 ft-lbs gets dropped as metal grinds off aluminum caliper yoke. What me worry?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              This brings up a ?. You tighten the axle bolt to 80 ft-lbs. But this torque restricts the caliper yoke from swiveling as swingarm moves up and down- over time your 80 ft-lbs gets dropped as metal grinds off aluminum caliper yoke. What me worry?
              Fair question. OP doesn't say what bike so we don't know what he has going on. On my 1100E the torque arm is attached to the swing arm, so the caliper carrier doesn't move once everything is assembled. On bikes where the torque arm attaches to the frame the carrier has to float on a bushing and not be clamped by the axle tension or there will be problems, as you note.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

OP doesn't say what bike, because the OP has his bike listed in his signature.....how about you ?

Loosening up the axle bolt and rotating the caliper forward worked and after a bit of brake bleeding the "Mighty GK" is back on the road !!
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  OP doesn't say what bike, because the OP has his bike listed in his signature.....how about you ?
                  I never had a look at your sig line, guess I should have... You talked me into it Larry, I have added my bikes to my sig. I'm not sure why it doesn't update my previous posts, though.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I'd do it but there's a imit on sig lines. I'd have to change it too often anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X