orientation progressive springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

orientation progressive springs

Changed the fork oil yesterday and one of the springs was upside down. But which one? Why are progressives supposed to be close end up?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
    Why are progressives supposed to be close end up?
    Because there is more mass (weight) at that end. Putting that end down increases your unsprung weight, although ever so slightly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you. I noticed the difference in the unsprung immediately
      Deliberately overfilled and got a lot of dark grey stuff out until it ran clear. Springs are longer than stock 474mm and the spacer is a one inch aluminium plug with an o-ring on the outside and four position ramp preloaders on top - no air.
      Suzuki manual says Caution about the orientation and I was wondering why. Could they end up anti-,progressive?
      97 R1100R
      Previous

Comment

I've always (car and bike) mounted them with closer-wound coils to the top - works well enough for me.
        Progressives often work well, but not on every application and not under all circumstances. Sometimes they're a waste of money and the suspension requirements would be better served with a straight spring of the correct rate.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Could I be using the wrong term here. There doesn't seem to be progressive change in pitch- is bilinear the right name?
          97 R1100R
          Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Could I be using the wrong term here. There doesn't seem to be progressive change in pitch- is bilinear the right name?
            How about Duo-Rate (sounds fancy enough to get some to part with the cash).
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sonicsprings.com
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
              X