Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs750e can it be lowered?

This is my first post.
    I've had my gs for about 5 years now, I love riding it. There are a few mods I've been wanting to do for awhile, one of which is to physically lower the bike. I am 5'8" and the bike is currently just a little to high for me to sit on properly. Any ideas or am I stuck on my tippy-toes? Hahaha

For the record it does have a progressive suspension on it front and rear. It is weight adjustable in the rear.

I'm 5'10" and this bike has me on my toes at stoplights if I want to have both feet down. Lowering the bike means getting different shocks and good shocks are not cheap. Your best bet is shaving down some of the seat material. I've read that just shaving down the corners and not necessarily the middle helps a lot. Depending on how far you go, you might need a custom seat cover to make it look right.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Lowering the seat is the easiest solution

Lowering the bike changes the geometry and the handling. Some people install shorter rear shocks and slide the fork tubes up to compensate
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Tippy toes is the way to go. Short bikes suck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I am 5'8.
          750L.
          Stop sign, light, just lean a bit to the left most of the time.
          And turn the bars to the left just a wee bit.
          Time to go just straighten the bars and extend my toes.
          Give her some gas.
          Easy enough.

I like to be on my toes when stopped.
          To me that entails keeping a eye in the rear view for the idiots who do not see the light / stop and keeping the bike in gear in case I need to get out of the way.

Would have to go out and measure again but am pretty sure my shocks I am running now are 3/4 to a inch longer then stock.

Comment

Great info!
            Seems like I now have an excuse to get that custom seat I wanted. Hahaha

Comment

I'm only 5'10", but I always wear my timberland boots. Definitely makes a difference.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

L model

Of course, you could always get an L.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                  Of course, you could always get an L.
                  Not me.

Used to find them attractive, but that was more than 30 years ago.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                  X